Live update for Norton June 17th, 2021, 9:26pm
Home Calendar Search Register Login
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Computer Q&A Board    Answers    Other Programs  ›  Live update for Norton

Pages: 1, 2 » : All
Recommend Print
  Author    Live update for Norton
Posted: July 16th, 2006, 5:58pm Report to Moderator
Guest User

For the past two weeks I have been unable to update my Norton Live virus update.  I have done everything they suggest but I can't download for whatever reason?  I have even concidered removing Norton Virus Protection and go with some other program.  I have used MacAfee and and was told a few years ago that Norton was better?
If anyone has a suggestion why, or how to get the live update, I'd appreciate any help.  I've changed the priority on Internet explorer to low thinking that might be the problem, no help.  At this point, don't know what to do.

Welsh793
Posted: July 16th, 2006, 7:35pm Report to Moderator
Guest User

Are you getting error messages when you try to run Live Update?
Most of the errors you receive, when Live Update fails, have links to the Symantec support site included in the LU interface.
If you click on these links they will take you to a support page that attempts to solve your problem.
This may not be true if you are running an older version of Norton AntiVirus, prior to 2004.
You may also download updates directly from the Symantec web site.

http://www.symantec.com/downloads/index.jsp
e-mail Reply: 1 - 15
Posted: July 17th, 2006, 11:43am Report to Moderator
Guest User

I have the latest Norton System Works 2006.  I went to their site and tried to get a live update.  That didn't work I also did an auto fix which they feature and it aid it could load to my system.  I removed the program with add/remove on the control panel and reloaded it but that didn't work.
Symantec gave me a site to go to get a live update [bftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/liveupdate/2.7/lusetup.exe but I get an error message saying it can't find it. It all has to do with ftp://ftp whatever that means.
  So there is all I have attempted to do.  Any other suggestions?
Thanks for the reply.  I appreciate it.

welsh793
e-mail Reply: 2 - 15
Posted: July 17th, 2006, 8:01pm Report to Moderator
Guest User

Try going to this page and going through the Q & A sequence.

http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/

Instead of using the automated tool, try using "Solve it myself" link.
If one of the errors displayed isn't the one you are getting, type your problem in the box and click search. This will give you several possible errors, one of which, hopefully, will be the one you are receiving.

Just looking at the link they gave to you, it appears you are running Live Update version 2.7. This has been updated to version 3.0.
As a quick fix, you could try downloading, installing and running the latest version of Live Update.
e-mail Reply: 3 - 15
Posted: July 18th, 2006, 11:32am Report to Moderator
Guest User

Thanks again for the reply.  I guess I'm doing something wrong since I can't get the latest live update either.  I think I shall end up removing Norton permanently and use a different Virus program.
   Thank you for your suggestions
welsh793
e-mail Reply: 4 - 15
Posted: July 18th, 2006, 8:23pm Report to Moderator
Guest User

Problems with NAV can get very involved since there are many ways for live update to go wrong.
If you can give me the exact error message you are getting when you try to run Live Update perhaps I can find a solution for you.
e-mail Reply: 5 - 15
Posted: July 19th, 2006, 12:33am Report to Moderator
Guest User

I am not able to cut and paste the error message but essentially it says "LU1814 -
Live update could not retrieve the catalog file"  there was more but the screen dis appeared so I was unable to copy the rest of the message.  At the bottom of that screen was a place to click on that takes you to an Automatic fix screen which give a message like. Automatic fix was not able to load onto your computer.
   Doesn't give much to go on but that's about all I can give you!
Thank you for the effort
welsh793
e-mail Reply: 6 - 15
Posted: July 19th, 2006, 8:37pm Report to Moderator
Guest User

Use this link to reach a Symantec page to download and manually install Live Update 3.0 [the latest version]. The page contains step by step instructions.

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/sharedtech.nsf/docid/2006032013262013

If you are using Internet Explorer 6.0, remember that popups are automatically blocked. The download window shows as a popup, so if you see a bar below the address bar in your browser, you will need to click on it to allow the download.
This may be the reason the automatic fixes are not able to load on your computer (?).

Once you have the latest version installed, you should be able to download the virus updates through Live Update again.

Hopefully this will solve the problem
e-mail Reply: 7 - 15
Posted: July 20th, 2006, 12:51am Report to Moderator
Guest User

I did all you suggested and followed the instructions of Symantec.  Got through to double-click the lusetup.exe  when it was through, it said "The file on this computer is already updated" so I went to the Live update file in the Symantec file and these are the files with there dates.
LUALL.EXE    5/15/2006
SESA settings liveupdate.liv   5/15/2006
Settings default.liv  5/15/2006
1. Settings default liveupdate.liv 8/7/2002

Idid the live update again after I got the "File already updated" message and the same"LU1814" error message.  Looks like back to square one. I also turned the spam blocker off.  I do have version 6 of IE.
Thanks again for the effort.  I thought it would work this time.  Should I delete any of the above file and start again?  welsh793
e-mail Reply: 8 - 15
Posted: July 21st, 2006, 7:32pm Report to Moderator
Guest User

Another possible solution is on this page.

http://symantec.atgnow.com/con.....&resultType=5000

Hopefully this link will work. It gives you a page to check for possible blocks to your computer connecting with their server.

Note at the bottom of the page there is a link saying "What if this didn't work?"  It links you to yet another possible solution.
e-mail Reply: 9 - 15
Posted: July 23rd, 2006, 10:28am Report to Moderator
Guest User

This is getting to be a lifetime project.  > Thanks for the continueing help. I did what you suggested again.  The Auto fix said it couldn't find any problems.  I tried the live update again and got the same error message so I guess it comes down to the bottom line and that is to remove Norton and re-install it.  I have done that once and had no luck.  I will do it again.  If that fails then I will remove it premently and install a different program.
Thank you again
welsh793
e-mail Reply: 10 - 15
Posted: July 23rd, 2006, 1:29pm Report to Moderator
Guest User

I was also having problems with Norton.  I found the solution to be to dump it and go to AVG.  So far I am not sorry.
e-mail Reply: 11 - 15
Posted: July 23rd, 2006, 5:01pm Report to Moderator
Guest User

Where do I get AVG? Please!
welsh793
e-mail Reply: 12 - 15
Posted: July 23rd, 2006, 5:40pm Report to Moderator
Guest User

When you uninstall NAV, did you use the Norton removal tool?
Unless you did, there were many registry entries that didn't get removed. Try removing the program with the removal tool and then reinstalling it.
Directions on this page.
http://symantec.atgnow.com/con.....amp;resultType=5000#

If it doesn't work after that, then here is the address you requested.

http://www.grisoft.com/doc/1
e-mail Reply: 13 - 15
Posted: July 23rd, 2006, 8:19pm Report to Moderator
Guest User

I was having a similar problem with Symantec AntiVirus Corporate edition. Not only could I not use live update, but when I checked the SAV settings, the automatic startup message was changed to something like: "Enable autoscan on startup (Disabled)." When I clicked on the checkbox, it turned to "Disabled." I could not start the autoscan.
I ran Symantec anti-virus, SpySweeper, Spybot S&D, and Adaware SE personal - nothing was found. I then ran Microsoft Defender, which found a file that, when eliminated, returned the system back to normal. I don't recall the name of the malware.
I made a System Restore point for the first time it worked again, and have returned there (or an update) when the problem arose again.
Has anyone else encountered this? Do you know the name?
e-mail Reply: 14 - 15
 Pages: 1, 2 » : All
Recommend Print

Locked Board Board Index    Other Programs  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Forum Rules