Print Topic

Computer Q&A Board  /  Questions  /  How to move programs to another drive
Posted by: frans_klaus (Guest), November 9th, 2014, 1:29am
Some programs ask on which drive to install it but some don't and just install themselves on the C-drive. That is getting close to overflowing so I would like to move those programs to the drive where most other programs also reside.
But I'm afraid that they might become unusable.
Is there a save way to perform such operations?
Posted by: Ray, November 14th, 2014, 2:14pm; Reply: 1
   You could just move the file over and see if it works.  Run the program from the new folder (not from any shortcuts or icons because they will be pointing to the old location).  If it works, you can change the shortcuts and icons to point to the new location.  If it doesn't work, move the folder back.
   Actually instead of moving it, I would copy the folder over to the new location and rename the old folder on C so that it will be a different location.  That way if it doesn't work, you can just revert the name of the old folder in C to what it was before and everything should work.
   We have a program called EZ File Transplanter that will move the folder over and change any filenames it finds to the new location.  I don't know if that will work or not, especially with newer operating systems (it is not compatible with 64bit or above).
Posted by: frans_klaus (Guest), December 8th, 2014, 2:28pm; Reply: 2
I tried a couple of programs and they did not give any problems so far. So I will try a few more, given the needed time.
Thanks.
Print page generated: November 12th, 2018, 4:39pm