Print Topic

Computer Q&A Board  /  Questions  /  All files converted to .lnk extensions
Posted by: Bill (Guest), July 8th, 2014, 6:08pm
Ray... am having an unusual problem with Windows 7...almost all of my desktop shortcut icons have suddenly converted to one icon...a program icon named Audacity (a music editor). This means that no matter which icon I attempt to open, it always opens  the Audacity program. I need to know if my copy of RegVac can correct the problem and if so, how to proceed.

The site address below describes what has happened and claims to be able to fix it. However, I don't want to go messing around the registry with software that is unfamiliar to me and, possibly make the problem worse.

Have you heard of this [ .lnk ] problem and can RegVac restore all my original icons? Thanks for your consideration.

Bill Reddie bredyah@yahoo.com

Here's the site address:

[link removed by moderator]
Posted by: Ray, July 21st, 2014, 10:02am; Reply: 1
Run RegEdit and look at the .lnk and lnkfile keys in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT.  You should find a link to Audacity somewhere in there.  If you have another computer, you might compare the two to see what is amiss and how it should be.

{00021401-0000-0000-C000-000000000046} is the CLSID associated with lnkfile.  You might make sure it is used and that it is correct (it is in the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID key).

I removed the link in your post because the webpage did not exist.  My guess is that the software would not have done anything to solve your problem.
Print page generated: April 26th, 2018, 1:14am