Print Topic

Computer Q&A Board  /  Questions  /  Win XP Hard drive re-format
Posted by: Outpost12156, November 2nd, 2013, 4:39pm
I am cleaning up an older desktop computer.  I would like to reformat the hard drive to clean it up before I give it away.  I've done that with ME but can not seem to do it with the XP machine I am working on.  It is the C Drive, the one that has the active Windows software on, about 30 GB only.  I don't care that there is no operating system on the drive.  I just want to make sure all of the person information is gone, wiped clean. Can I create a boot diskette that will acomplish this?  It has no hidden partitions, and the machine does have a floppy drive on it.

How do I do this?

Michael+
Outpost12156
Posted by: Ray, November 3rd, 2013, 1:49am; Reply: 1
   XP uses NTFS instead of FAT for the format of the drive.  Because of this, the boot diskette must have NTFSDOS instead of DOS on it.  NTFSDOS, if you can find it, is bigger than one diskette and does not always work.
   It would be easier to get a boot CD.  BartPE makes such a CD.  We have XP Recovery CD Maker that uses BartPE to make the CD.  Not all XP computers have the correct files for BartPE so make sure you have an XP computer that has the correct files.
   Or you can find boot CDs online for sale that are not too expensive.
   Or maybe you have a friend that has such a CD.
   Once you have a boot CD, put it in the CD drive, and start the computer.  Because you are running off the operating system on the CD, you should be able to format C.
Print page generated: January 22nd, 2018, 6:47am