Print Topic

Computer Q&A Board  /  Questions  /  persistant mystery?
Posted by: gardnerwilson57, May 30th, 2013, 6:26am
for some time now i have had a funny thing that keeps happening. I find that files in my operating system and photo files and certain others keep getting the name changed without me doing anything. I have reformatted,reinstalled the os and even done a thorough search and taken a lot of time renaming these files to what they are supposed to be and i have renamed thousands of files so far and yet i keep finding them altered. for example one file tonight i found is as follows:
.config.txt.dcm  
this file really should be...  config.txt   without a dot at the beginning and the ".dcm" part removed.
im perplexed because i have used such antivirus detectors as "avast, kaspersky,and McAffi" and they find no virus threats. im really at my wits end.
can anybody shed some light as to why this is happening.
I notice the HDD light blinking when im not even using the computer and this tells me that the files are in the process of being copied with the new type of title .
thanks in advance for any suggestions you might have out there.........GW
Posted by: Ray, May 31st, 2013, 4:54am; Reply: 1
   If you do a search for .dcm online, you will find information about this.
   It seems that those files are not the original files.  They are information files about the original files that Western Digital's backup program is making to keep track of when those files change and what changes are made to them.  The original files are located somewhere else.
Posted by: gardnerwilson57, May 31st, 2013, 3:08pm; Reply: 2
Hey thanks rey, would this apply to files renamed for example : " Background@2009-10T05;34;40.jpg"?
notice that the @ and a date hs been incerted into the title of the jpeg file. It origionally was " Background.jpeg". this was the first type of change i started to notice and it only seems to effect pictue files and contact files. Zip files thankfully have not been effected yet. and i have no backup programs using western digital at present. thanks for the good help you provided......gw
Print page generated: January 23rd, 2018, 7:58pm