Print Topic

Computer Q&A Board  /  Questions  /  My run prompt is gone
Posted by: kittykrystal (Guest), May 17th, 2013, 3:05am
Hello, recently I have had to reload XP.   Now the little "Run" after you press START is no longer there.  I was able to call  up the command prompt, but it show: "c:\Documents and Settings\Kitty".  It will not give me just the c: prompt so that I can put in msconfig.  Can you help me please?   Kitty  :'(
Posted by: Ray, May 17th, 2013, 10:07pm; Reply: 1
   I don't know why Run is not there.
   You can change directories and go back to C:\ by typing "cd\" (without the quotation marks) and enter.
   Or you can go back one directory at a time by typing "cd.." and enter.
Posted by: kittykrystal (Guest), May 17th, 2013, 10:29pm; Reply: 2
OK, I did that and what I get back is c:\>  Then I typed in msconfig and it does not accept that.  Now what?  Thanks  Kitty :o
Posted by: Ray, May 25th, 2013, 3:29am; Reply: 3
   You have to find out where msconfig is and change to that directory.  You can use the cd command (cd is short for change directory) to get there but that can be a hassle.
   Try right clicking on the Start button and selecting Explore from the popup menu to open Windows Explorer.  Then you can look for msconfig and run it from there.
   To get Run back, try running Taskbar and Start Menu in Control Panel.  Click on the Start Menu tab and click on the Customize button of Start menu.  On the Advanced tab there is a Run command checkbox in the Start menu items box.  Make sure that is checked.
Print page generated: October 22nd, 2018, 6:15am