Print Topic

Computer Q&A Board  /  Questions  /  avgrsx.exe can't find msvcr8.dll
Posted by: 221 (Guest), October 1st, 2010, 7:52am
I've been wondering why AVG Free has been reporting no new updates for some time and I decided to check directly with the website. I found a new version of AVG Free, 2011, ready to download and replace my existing version. I carefully followed all the instructions to remove the old version (not straightforward) and installed the new one. Now I keep getting a message telling me that avgrsx.exe can't find file MSCVR8.dll. Internet searches don't give me anything about a relationship between these, the dll evidently mostly refers to games, not AVG. Some people even think it's a virus, though I doubt that. The advice intended to solve the problem also usually says that following it will pose further problems! AVG's website doesn't mention MSCVR8.dll, so what is going on? Am I the only one to have come across this?
Posted by: 230 (Guest), October 19th, 2010, 10:17am; Reply: 1
Do a system restore back to before you installed avg 11
Uninstall avg 9 from the control panel.
Download and re-install avg 9
Run the avg 2011 updater.
OK.
This had happened to me many times over the last week or so.
Posted by: 221 (Guest), October 19th, 2010, 1:48pm; Reply: 2
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give it a try.
Posted by: 221 (Guest), October 28th, 2010, 9:13am; Reply: 3
Hi crashman. I tried your suggestion, but ran into trouble straightaway because I wasn't sure what you meant by the avg 2011 updater - it didn't seem to be on the avg free website, other than as an upgrade to the paid-for version. Also, I was reluctant to do a system restore as far back as avg9 in case doing that lost other things installed since then. In the end, I reinstalled avg 2011, but it didn't resolve the problem. I have since found out that avg are reporting a possible conflict with Zone Alarm, and are working on finding a solution. It seems they don't think that the error message means I am unprotected, and that it should go away when they have sent out an update to fix it.
Thanks again for your suggestion.
Posted by: 19 (Guest), November 10th, 2010, 6:17pm; Reply: 4
Do yourself a favor and get rid of AVG. The new winner in the free VIRUS is AVAST. It was rated #1 in last months PC WORLD. It is not evasive and simply the fastest one out there.  Just make sure you uninstall AVG first.

[quote][/quote]
Print page generated: February 20th, 2020, 1:39am