Print Topic

Computer Q&A Board  /  Questions  /  USB Ports
Posted by: shman, July 18th, 2009, 7:24am
My USB ports quit working.  The device manager indicates all is well but when I plug my camera or anything else it says  it is not working.  I go throgh the troubleshooter but no help is there. Nothing works when I plug it into the USAB ports.  Can anyone help with this problem?
Posted by: Ray, July 18th, 2009, 11:19am; Reply: 1
I have had the same problem for years and have not found a solution.
Posted by: dlwolff0, July 18th, 2009, 8:46pm; Reply: 2
Three possible problems could exist with the USB ports.
First, USB support usually has to be enabled in the bios.
Second, the USB controller drivers may be corrupted, reinstall the motherboard chipset drivers.
Third, run system file checker to insure the Windows files involved are OK.
Hopefully one of these will solve the problem. If not the hardware may be damaged.
Posted by: shman, July 19th, 2009, 3:49pm; Reply: 3
dlwolff0 thanks for yu reply in trying to help with this problem.  I completed allyour suggestions except I couldn't find where in the bios to enable the usb ports.  I went through the bios with no indication of usb. Unfortunately it must be a hardware problem works fine in other computers.  Although my wireless network works off the usb ports.
Posted by: quinland, July 20th, 2009, 5:14pm; Reply: 4
What OS are you using? In Win XP, I have found that installing the USB drivers that come for Windows 2000 will sometimes 'wake up' a USB device that didn't register in WinXP.
Try uninstalling the USB ports in Device Manager, and let the system 'Add new hardware' or reboot.
If no devices are 'discovered' it is more likely it is a hardware problem.
If you are comfortable working with your motherboard, check that the USB connectors are properly connected.
Another possibility is to install a PCI card (if it is a desktop) with USB 2.0 ports.
Posted by: dlwolff0, July 25th, 2009, 3:40pm; Reply: 5
The USB ports are usually enabled in the integrated peripherals section under onboard devices.
Posted by: shman, July 26th, 2009, 2:58pm; Reply: 6
Thanks dlwolffo apparently that was the problem as there was a setting in the peripherals concerning virtul USB which was set at always off.  I changed this setting to always on and now I can finally download my pictures.  Thank you so much for all your help.
Print page generated: November 18th, 2018, 9:17pm