Print Topic

Computer Q&A Board  /  Windows  /  How to Remove Windows Messenger
Posted by: toneyone (Guest), October 1st, 2006, 12:11pm
hi.
i have just started using out look again but messenger appears every time i open out look

it might not be  signed in but sits in the bar annoying me.

is there anyway of removing messenger from outlook express,

an idiots guide please

i start to get nervous if i start to mess with the registry.

cheers

tone :(
Posted by: silvrstreek, October 22nd, 2006, 2:18pm; Reply: 1
Are you talking about Windows Messenger, if so there is a nifty little program called Shoot The Messenger by GRC that I use. It safely disables Windows Messenger with the click of a button. You can also enable it if you desire. Windows Messenger is a security risk anyway and should be disabled. Here's the link: http://www.grc.com/stm/shootthemessenger.htm - for Shoot the Messenger. Hope this helps.
Posted by: gunslinger, May 4th, 2007, 12:48am; Reply: 2
or, if you feel frisky you could do it the old fashioned  way. go to windows folder, go to tools st top of window, folder options, view, and show hidden, next go to the inf folder. find the file named sysoc. and open it with notepad, remove the hide extention on each. next go back to add remove programs and to remove windows components, you should now have the option to uninstall it.
Posted by: Ray, February 5th, 2008, 7:05am; Reply: 3
   That is a good tip, gunslinger.  Let me just clarifiy what gunslinger said.
   First, I would suggest going to Control Panel, then to Add or Remove Programs.   On that window (in XP) there is button on the left side called, Add or Remove Windows Components.  Click on that and another window will be opened.  Scroll down the list to the bottom and uncheck Windows Messenger.  Then click on the Next button then on the Finish button.
   If Windows Messenger is not in the list, find the sysoc.inf in C:\Windows\Inf and double click on it.  I think Windows Messenger is msmsgs, so find msmsgs and remove the word, Hide, from its line.  Do not remove the commas on either side of it.  Save the file and go back to Add or Remove Windows Components as described above.  Windows Messenger should be on the list.
Posted by: Ray, February 21st, 2008, 5:48pm; Reply: 4
   Ron from the UK wrote me and suggested using http://www.chunkypig.com/msn/windows_messenger_remover.php
Print page generated: August 19th, 2018, 5:40pm