Sudden Stand-By Problem May 25th, 2017, 12:35pm
Home Calendar Search Register Login
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Computer Q&A Board    Your Input    Questions  ›  Sudden Stand-By Problem

Pages: 1
Recommend Print
  Author    Sudden Stand-By Problem
baybreeze
Posted: December 4th, 2011, 4:28pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member

Hello everyone,

My father's desktop PC has suddenly started taking approx. 15-20 minutes to come out of standby. Before this started last week, it would just take a second or two. By standby, I mean when you walk away from the PC, after a while the screen turns dark and when you come back, you have to either move the mouse or press the keyboard to get the normal screen back. When he tried to get the screen back, you can hear the hard drive making noise and see the green light on the monitor blinking, but the screen will sit there dark now for about 15 to 20 minutes before it finally wakes.

I did do some research about this and changed some of his power settings and for now, it seems to have helped. I want to know if this could be a sign of some hardware failure to come? Or could it be something happened when Windows, iTunes, or some other software updated?

The PC itself is about 6 or 7 years old, and the monitor is maybe 2 to 3 yrs old. PC is a Gateway Yorktown and Monitor is a Samsung Syncmaster. He is running Win XP SP3.
Logged Offline
It is HERE
A Revolutionary New Bible Version

Gain a Better Understanding of the Bible

No Bible Training Needed
Just Read and Find out God's Message to You

New Testament - Breakthrough Version
Go to - www.breakthroughversion.com - for more information.
Free Weekly Newsletter
Learn Tips about your Computer
from a Trusted, Knowledgeable Source

Subscribe to Ray's Computer Tips by entering your email address below and clicking on the button. We have a No Spam policy

This Forum brought to you by

Great Software
Forever Free Updates
Ray
Posted: December 21st, 2011, 1:51pm Report to Moderator
Administrator Group

I don't think that it is a sign of hardware failure to come.  It could be that your computer was going back into Sleep mode.  You might try pressing the Shift button if it happens again.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 1 - 3
baybreeze
Posted: December 22nd, 2011, 12:03am Report to Moderator
Baby Member

THanks. I swapped out another monitor I had, and now it's not happening. I think it's either the monitor or a disruption with the pc communicating with the monitor or a bad cable.
Logged Offline
Reply: 2 - 3
baybreeze
Posted: January 1st, 2012, 4:40pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member

Well, the stand-by problem still isn't happening with the new monitor, so the old one was the culprit.
Logged Offline
Reply: 3 - 3
 Pages: 1
Recommend Print

Locked Board Board Index    Questions  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Forum Rules