files won't delete May 25th, 2017, 12:34pm
Home Calendar Search Register Login
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Computer Q&A Board    Your Input    Questions  ›  files won't delete

Pages: 1
Recommend Print
  Author    files won't delete
spankyjo54
Posted: September 12th, 2011, 4:44am Report to Moderator
Baby Member

I have been trying to delete some files that are in my temp Int. file and they won't delete. It keeps saying I am either using the files with another program or someone else is. Since I am the only one on here the second is impossible. The first part is nuts because I am not using other software at this time and my programs in my task bar are all idle at the moment. Since I think I have some not nice files, this sounds pretty suspicious, one of them is Pefdata - f4 and others that start the same. Any idea why I can't get rid of these rascals. a
Logged Offline
It is HERE
A Revolutionary New Bible Version

Gain a Better Understanding of the Bible

No Bible Training Needed
Just Read and Find out God's Message to You

New Testament - Breakthrough Version
Go to - www.breakthroughversion.com - for more information.
Free Weekly Newsletter
Learn Tips about your Computer
from a Trusted, Knowledgeable Source

Subscribe to Ray's Computer Tips by entering your email address below and clicking on the button. We have a No Spam policy

This Forum brought to you by

Great Software
Forever Free Updates
Ray
Posted: September 22nd, 2011, 3:56pm Report to Moderator
Administrator Group

Evidently Windows or another program is using them.
   You may need to boot the computer using a different operating system (use a boot CD for DOS, Windows, or Linux) and delete them from there.
   Our XP Recovery CD Maker will work for this if you have a Windows XP computer to make the CD with.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 1 - 5
Laverne
Posted: September 24th, 2011, 3:07pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member

I would urge CAUTION in deleting files, especially those which are specified as being in use.  You might download the "Unlocker" program and use that to see exactly what software is using the files you want to delete.  

The perflib files are used (on my XP computer) for display drivers related to ATI software.
Laverne
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 2 - 5
lowie
Posted: January 25th, 2012, 2:56pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member

Be careful with Unlocker. I downloaded it from different sites and allways found adware with Emsisoft Anti Malware. Finaly I found one that was clean.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 3 - 5
crashman
Posted: January 25th, 2012, 7:00pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member

You can delete these files by entering safe mode on startup, keep pressing F8 until the menu appears.
But personally I would be wary. Perfib.dat is a windows file that you need though why this is in your temporary internet files folder is another matter. Perfib.f4 would seem to be possibly a version taken over by another program either legitimate or not.

I would normally check by changing its name (in safe mode) to, for instance perfib.txt and restarting normally to make sure everything is working as it should. If it is, belt and braces, copy the file to a stick and delete it from the hard drive.

Rename the file on the stick to the original and run a virus check on it.

You may need to run System File Checker after all of this to make sure whatever changed this file didn't change any more files.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 4 - 5
gardnerwilson57
Posted: May 31st, 2013, 2:56pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member

i relate to this issue as it has happened to me on several occasions.
the way i remove stubborn files is to reboot into "safe mode" and remove them.
when the safe mode is applied only files needed for minimal sytem operation is active and other programs are put on hold thereby letting you manipulate unused files. hope this helps..........gw
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 5 - 5
 Pages: 1
Recommend Print

Locked Board Board Index    Questions  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Forum Rules