Virus, trojan, or worm June 29th, 2017, 10:48am
Home Calendar Search Register Login
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Computer Q&A Board    Your Input    Questions  ›  Virus, trojan, or worm

Pages: 1
Recommend Print
  Author    Virus, trojan, or worm
BorNaSuSa
Posted: June 29th, 2011, 3:40pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member

While attempting to download a questionable program yesterday, I apparently infected my computer. Every program that is on my computer to find/clean/fix malware, viruses, etc. gets disabled and shut down and has to be uninstalled and re-installed, only to get to a certain point where it gets disabled and shut down again. I need help. I have recovery disks, but I have done so much installing and uninstalling and registry changing in the last 24 hours, that I don't know what my recovery disks can do for me.

I should add that every tool I try to install becomes unusable when executed - I get this message: "Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item." I am the administrator and the only user.

I have an Acer Aspire T160 Win XP SP3.

Any suggestions on how I can fix this myself for free without taking it to a repair shop would be appreciated. I don't have any income at  the moment.

Logged Offline
It is HERE
A Revolutionary New Bible Version

Gain a Better Understanding of the Bible

No Bible Training Needed
Just Read and Find out God's Message to You

New Testament - Breakthrough Version
Go to - www.breakthroughversion.com - for more information.
Free Weekly Newsletter
Learn Tips about your Computer
from a Trusted, Knowledgeable Source

Subscribe to Ray's Computer Tips by entering your email address below and clicking on the button. We have a No Spam policy

This Forum brought to you by

Great Software
Forever Free Updates
Ray
Posted: June 30th, 2011, 2:42pm Report to Moderator
Administrator Group

It all depends on what the virus has done.  If it just changed the registry, you will need to restore the registry to a point before it was changed by the virus.  System Restore can do this if it works.
   If you know the name of the virus, you can probably find instructions online on how to get rid of it.
   I would try the recovery disks and see what they can do for you.  Some recovery disks delete everything on your computer and set it back to the way it was when you first got the computer.  If you have files that you do not want to lose, you will need to back them up onto a CD or thumb drive before using the recovery disk.
   If the virus will not let you back up, you will need to get a boot CD and do the backing up after you have started the computer with the boot CD.
   I would suggest talking to the repair shop and see what they say.  See if they can fix your computer without removing everything on your computer.  Having them do it, may cost you money but it may be well worth it.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 1 - 3
BorNaSuSa
Posted: June 30th, 2011, 3:49pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member

I am going to a technician this afternoon.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 2 - 3
BorNaSuSa
Posted: July 6th, 2011, 2:38am Report to Moderator
Baby Member

Okay, so here's the rest of the saga. After downloading every free malware/virus tool, only to have every single one disabled and locked, even if I changed their names, it turns out I had a rootkit and several viruses that were cleaned by the technician for $89. I brought the computer home and had to make a lot of adjustments to get my system back to how I like it set up. The technician had turned off every start-up program except one and undid a lot of my customizations and my services.

When I rebooted the same night, the picture I set as my background disappeared and, one-by-one, my icons disappeared until a new *program* called "Windows XP Repair" popped up with every scary message you can imagine was wrong with my hard drive, registry, disk, etc. {I see some of you shaking your heads up and down, smirking.} I did click on "Fix" and was asked to purchase a program to complete the fix. This turned out to be one of the nastiest recent virus/trojan horses (not sure which category it fits into). I took my computer immediately - yes, it was MIDNIGHT - to another computer IT guy who had answered my call (too late) about my original problem. It turns out he only lives one mile from me and he worked through the night to fix the problem. It was another rootkit and another $25. Very decent guy knowing I had just spent $89 the day before.

After one more hiccup of my printer drivers disappearing and the program getting quarantined, I am happy to report that everything seems to be working great again.

Linda
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 3 - 3
 Pages: 1
Recommend Print

Locked Board Board Index    Questions  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Forum Rules