Hyperlinks not working in Outlook 2007 May 24th, 2017, 8:07am
Home Calendar Search Register Login
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Computer Q&A Board    Your Input    Questions  ›  Hyperlinks not working in Outlook 2007

Pages: 1
Recommend Print
  Author    Hyperlinks not working in Outlook 2007
sgrimmett
Posted: May 17th, 2011, 7:57pm Report to Moderator
Guest User

My hyperlinks stopped working in Outlook 2007 after I uninstalled google chrome.  I had installed google chrome when I was using an application that required it a few days ago.  When it installed, it made itself my default browser.  I did not like the way it worked, so I unstalled it and made Internet Explorer my default browser which it had always been.  I have restarted my computer, but now none of the hyperlinks in my emails work.  I am getting a message that "this operation has been cancelled due to restrictions on this computer.  Please contact your system administrator".  I have checked to make sure that Internet Explorer is my default browser and it is.  How can I correct this problem?
It is HERE
A Revolutionary New Bible Version

Gain a Better Understanding of the Bible

No Bible Training Needed
Just Read and Find out God's Message to You

New Testament - Breakthrough Version
Go to - www.breakthroughversion.com - for more information.
Free Weekly Newsletter
Learn Tips about your Computer
from a Trusted, Knowledgeable Source

Subscribe to Ray's Computer Tips by entering your email address below and clicking on the button. We have a No Spam policy

This Forum brought to you by

Great Software
Forever Free Updates
Ray
Posted: May 18th, 2011, 2:23pm Report to Moderator
Administrator Group

Try starting Internet Explorer and see what it does.  It may ask you if you want it to make it the default web browser.  If so, answer, yes.
   If it does not ask, go to the Tools menu in Internet Explorer, then to Internet Options, then to the Programs tab.  In the Default web browser section click on the Make Default button (if it is not enabled, it is already the default web broswer).
   Hopefully, that will fix the problem.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 1 - 4
sgrimmett
Posted: May 18th, 2011, 3:45pm Report to Moderator
Guest User

Ray, thank you for your reply.  I did get the make Internet Explorer my default browser, but this did not solve the problem.  I continued getting a message everytime I clicked on a hyperlink in an email.  I googled the error message and was taken to a microsoft site that had me download a program to repair my register.  Apparently a file got deleted when I uninstalled google chrome.  Now it works perfectly.
e-mail Reply: 2 - 4
thompson@radford.edu
Posted: May 26th, 2011, 6:52am Report to Moderator
Baby Member

I have for some time now had similar problems after I update my Opera browser on a couple of xp pcs and a vista pc. Apparently it's a pretty common and has to do with a quirk in assigning file types that manifests itself when opening links in Outlook. I suspect when you uninstalled Chrome the http protocol controls were not returned to your original browser. I did a google search and ended up finding a solution on something called mozillaZine. (It's pretty simple. You need to change the file opening permissions of a few file types to have your current browser open them.) If you can't locate it I'll be happy to send you the page (which I saved), or I can just put the instructions in another email message. They're completely straightforward.

Of course, if you have a Winrescue backup from just before installing Chrome, the simplest and smartest solution is just to restore it. I've tried it and it works fine. I'm paranoid about doing Winrescue backups before doing almost anything and I will say it saved my fanny again just yesterday.

Until I found a good solution I put up with the inconvenience of making sure Opera was running before opening Outlook. I hope this helps.

--Skip Thompson
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 3 - 4
thompson@radford.edu
Posted: May 26th, 2011, 6:53am Report to Moderator
Baby Member

My apologies, I didn't read the last line of your reply to Ray--Skip
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 4 - 4
 Pages: 1
Recommend Print

Locked Board Board Index    Questions  [ previous | next ] Switch to: