Slow and unexplained December 17th, 2017, 4:27am
Home Calendar Search Register Login
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Computer Q&A Board    Your Input    Questions  ›  Slow and unexplained

Pages: 1
Recommend Print
  Author    Slow and unexplained
BruceM
Posted: April 17th, 2011, 4:17pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member

I try to keep my Dell 4300 running well, using WinXP and 1G of RAM. Regularly defrag and keep RegVac running from time to time. For several weeks it has been getting slower and slower and sometimes it is so bad I have to shut down. I saw the value in A1 Cleaner and added that and ran it twice. Sorry to say, things are at least as bad. I keep AVAST updated and a virus check shows nothing. The Device Manager shows nothing unusual and I have most of the start-up items cleared except for 4.
How do I single out the most likely program that is causing the slow down?
Logged Offline
It is HERE
A Revolutionary New Bible Version

Gain a Better Understanding of the Bible

No Bible Training Needed
Just Read and Find out God's Message to You

New Testament - Breakthrough Version
Go to - www.breakthroughversion.com - for more information.
Free Weekly Newsletter
Learn Tips about your Computer
from a Trusted, Knowledgeable Source

Subscribe to Ray's Computer Tips by entering your email address below and clicking on the button. We have a No Spam policy

This Forum brought to you by

Great Software
Forever Free Updates
Ray
Posted: April 18th, 2011, 11:20am Report to Moderator
Administrator Group

Go to the Task Manager (press Ctrl, Alt, and Delete at the same time and select Task Manager), to the Processes tab and see what is taking up the memory.  That should give you some idea of what is using up the memory.  You can always close a suspected item and see if that speeds things up.  Do that until you find what is the problem.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 1 - 3
BruceM
Posted: April 18th, 2011, 11:42am Report to Moderator
Baby Member

Thanks Ray... but I am concerned as there are 4 programs using a lot of memory.
These are:  iexplore, explore, svchost and TaskPanel (Earthlink). If I remove them and they are not the issue how do I restore them. OR do I set a Restore Point before I try removing them?
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 2 - 3
Ray
Posted: April 18th, 2011, 12:14pm Report to Moderator
Administrator Group

The Processes tab is a list of the things running.  When you close a process, it just stops running.  When you start Windows again (or whatever programs that ran the processes), the processes will be started again.  If you close a needed process, Windows will close and you will have to start your computer again (this is not a problem, just write down that process and remember not to close it again).  Closing processes does not cause any permanent problems.
   I would suggest trying some of the other processes.  Explore is Windows Explorer.  Iexplore is Internet Explorer (it can often slow things down).
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 3 - 3
 Pages: 1
Recommend Print

Locked Board Board Index    Questions  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Forum Rules