get computer to recognize  internet explorer   December 17th, 2017, 4:31am
Home Calendar Search Register Login
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Computer Q&A Board    Your Input    Questions  ›  get computer to recognize  internet explorer  

Pages: 1
Recommend Print
  Author    get computer to recognize  internet explorer  
robskirs
Posted: April 10th, 2011, 9:35pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member

my computer don't recognize internet explorer. what can i do? i am running windows XP. getting on line with firefox. tried to reinstall ie8 from disk. didn't work.
Logged Offline
It is HERE
A Revolutionary New Bible Version

Gain a Better Understanding of the Bible

No Bible Training Needed
Just Read and Find out God's Message to You

New Testament - Breakthrough Version
Go to - www.breakthroughversion.com - for more information.
Free Weekly Newsletter
Learn Tips about your Computer
from a Trusted, Knowledgeable Source

Subscribe to Ray's Computer Tips by entering your email address below and clicking on the button. We have a No Spam policy

This Forum brought to you by

Great Software
Forever Free Updates
crashman
Posted: April 12th, 2011, 6:51pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member

What version of Windows do you have?
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 1 - 6
robskirs
Posted: April 13th, 2011, 12:26am Report to Moderator
Baby Member

hi crashman, did you read the question? if so you would know i'm using windows XP.
                                                          thank you,
                                                            robert [robskirs@yahoo.com]
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 2 - 6
crashman
Posted: April 19th, 2011, 2:21pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member

My guess is that you have a corrupted version of Internet explorer. It's a Windows component and there isn't a lot you can do about that.

Try and install Google Chrome - works in a completely different way - and if you are struggling there is an offline installer here: http://www.google.com/support/installer/bin/answer.py?answer=126299
which you can download on another computer and run from your memory stick.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 3 - 6
Ray
Posted: April 20th, 2011, 9:53am Report to Moderator
Administrator Group

I do not know why I did not answer your question before.  I may not have understood what you were asking.
   I am not sure what you mean when you say that your computer does not recognize Internet Explorer.
   If you mean that when you click on a link that Internet Explorer does not open, then Internet Explorer is probably just not set up as the default browser.  The easy way to correct this is to go to Start - Programs (or All Programs) and click on the Internet Explorer icon.  Internet Explorer should detect that it is not the default browser and ask you if you want to make it the default browser.  Answer yes.  If that does not happen, you will need to click on the Make Default button on the Programs tab of the Internet Options item of the Tools menu in Internet Explorer.
   If that is not the problem but instead the problem is that when you click on the Internet Explorer icon in Start, it does not start, then I would suggest going to Microsoft's website (http://www.microsoft.com) and either download and install Internet Explorer from the Downloads section or see if you can find a solution there.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 4 - 6
robskirs
Posted: April 21st, 2011, 5:56am Report to Moderator
Baby Member

hello mr. ray,
     this computer says i only have 5.5 internet explorer installed. i am running windows xp home. when you install windows xp it has ie6. ok i went to the microsoft.com and downloaded ie8 to a disk. it didn't work meaning the computer won't recognize it. internet options and system restore don't work either. when i tried to install ie8 a box came up saying i have a newer version of ie. ok but it also still says i need a higher ie then 5.5 but i wanted to install ie8. i just don't get it. can you help?
                                    thank you,
                                       robert [robskirs@yahoo.com]    
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 5 - 6
Ray
Posted: April 21st, 2011, 1:53pm Report to Moderator
Administrator Group

Just because it does not work does not mean that your computer does not recognize it.
   I believe when you download IE8, you are only downloading the installation program of the installation.  The installation program then downloads additional files from the internet when you run it.  I assume that you are putting it on a disk because the computer does not have access to the internet.  I don't think you can install it from a disk like that.
   If you want Internet Explorer, I would suggest either spending some time on the http://www.microsoft.com website finding a solution or taking it to the repair shop and having them put it on it.  Otherwise, maybe a different browser, like Google Chrome, would work.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 6 - 6
 Pages: 1
Recommend Print

Locked Board Board Index    Questions  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Forum Rules