Adding an Internal hard drive May 25th, 2017, 12:25pm
Home Calendar Search Register Login
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Computer Q&A Board    Your Input    Questions  ›  Adding an Internal hard drive

Pages: 1
Recommend Print
  Author    Adding an Internal hard drive
pjnewman
Posted: December 26th, 2010, 6:53pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member

I have 2 eMachines - a c3060 & a T2682.  The motherboard of the T2682 died leaving a healthy 80 gb hard drive.  I pulled the 80 gig hard drive out and installed it in the c3060 - the connections were already there, though I had to change the pins on the actual drives to reflect master and slave drives.

When I powered it up, it automatically detected the added hardware, and I had to re-start the computer for the changes to take effect - which I did.

Now Iím up and running...

If I check "My Computer" / ďLocal Disk CĒ and click on the "Hardware" tab both drives are there and everything seems to be fine.

Do I need to do anything to verify it was successfully installed?  How do I know itíll be used?

Thank you,
Phil
pjnewman@juno.com
Logged Offline
It is HERE
A Revolutionary New Bible Version

Gain a Better Understanding of the Bible

No Bible Training Needed
Just Read and Find out God's Message to You

New Testament - Breakthrough Version
Go to - www.breakthroughversion.com - for more information.
Free Weekly Newsletter
Learn Tips about your Computer
from a Trusted, Knowledgeable Source

Subscribe to Ray's Computer Tips by entering your email address below and clicking on the button. We have a No Spam policy

This Forum brought to you by

Great Software
Forever Free Updates
Ray
Posted: December 27th, 2010, 5:38pm Report to Moderator
Administrator Group

You can right click on Start and select Explore from the popup menu.  That will start Windows Explorer.  The new drive should be shown on it.
   It is not something that will be used unless you use it.  It is extra.  You can open file on it and save files to it but to do so you will have to do that yourself.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 1 - 7
pjnewman
Posted: December 27th, 2010, 9:20pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member

OK - I did as you said - then right clicked on "Local Disk (C)".  In that window I left clicked on "Properties" and then clicked on the "Hardware" tab.  The drive is listed there, but it isn't named like "d" or "f".  How do I access it?  Do I need to partition the "C" drive?  Thank you, Phil
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 2 - 7
Ray
Posted: December 28th, 2010, 3:51pm Report to Moderator
Administrator Group

There is no need to right click on "Local Disk (C)".  The new drive should be shown below C.  The CD/DVD drive should be shown and the new drive should be shown.  I take it that it is not.
   If you left all of the files and whatever that was on it on the other drive, it should show up as another drive with all of the contents of the drive in it.
   Do not partition C.  That will only divide up C and lose everything on C.
   If the new drive is listed on the Hardware tab it should also show up in Windows Explorer below C.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 3 - 7
pjnewman
Posted: December 28th, 2010, 4:59pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member

Well, I'm assuming I erred when I read on the outside of the individual drives that the pins should be adjusted for various scenarios. One was to designate the drive as either the main or slave.  Which I did - I designated the original drive as master and the installed drive as slave. In doing so, did I make the installed drive an extension of the C drive?

Everything indicates the drive is there and functioning - but there is no separate drive shown except in the "Local Disk (C Properties window.  Under "Hardware" the new drive is listed beneath the C drive with its Western Digital designation.  

The C drive is listed with the WDC designation followed by the new drive followed by the USB drives

I notice when I first start the computer, and the DOS screen pops up for a minute, it is listed there beneath the C drive, with its WDC name.

Obviously, I'm a rookie here, so I appreciate your continued input and patience.  thank you - Phil
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 4 - 7
Ray
Posted: December 29th, 2010, 4:34pm Report to Moderator
Administrator Group

The new drive is not an extension of the C drive.  The Hardware tab lists all of the drives, not those in C.  If you look at the properties of the D drive (your CD/DVD drive), it will also show the same drives on the Hardware tab.  That does not mean that they are extensions of D.
   A drive is a drive and is listed separate from other drives.  One is never an extension of another.
   It is not always straightforward how the pins should be.  You have to try one way and see if it works.  If not, try it another way.
   The way it is supposed to be is that inside your computer there are usually two ribbon cables and each ribbon cable has two connectors.  If you hook up a harddrive to each connector then one must be the Master and the other the Slave.  You definitely cannot have two Masters on one cable but you may find out that CS (Cable Select) works when Slave does not or that putting one of the harddrives on another cable is the only solution.  Some harddrives do not play well with other harddrives on the same cable.
   When the computer is starting you can go into Setup (BIOS) by pressing a certain combination of keys (Esc, or Ctrl and Delete, etc.).  The startup screen will tell which keys to press.  In Setup you should be able to see which drives are being detected and change settings for them.  Remember that the CD/DVD drive will also be shown.  If you get it set up right in Setup, it should show up properly in Windows.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 5 - 7
pjnewman
Posted: January 3rd, 2011, 7:46pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member

If I use different cables for each drive, does the designation of "master" and "slave" become unnecessary?  And I should adjust the pins to reflect that each hard drive is the only drive on the cable.  Then fire up the computer and let it identify the "new" hardware.

I was hoping that since the hard drives were from the same manufacturer, they would "play well," but perhaps not so much.

One other questions...  This same computer has begun emitting an alarm of some sort.  It sounds a lot like a British police siren.  Any idea what that might be?

Thanks again,
Phil
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 6 - 7
Ray
Posted: January 4th, 2011, 6:29pm Report to Moderator
Administrator Group

If it is the only harddrive on the cable, it should be set on Master.
   I am not sure I know what a British police siren sounds like.  Motherboards have different warning sounds which mean different things.  If you have a manual for the motherboard, it should tell you what sound means what.  If you don't have a manual, you might try looking on the manufacturer's website.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 7 - 7
 Pages: 1
Recommend Print

Locked Board Board Index    Questions  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Forum Rules