Thunderbird August 21st, 2017, 3:02am
Home Calendar Search Register Login
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Computer Q&A Board    Your Input    Questions  ›  Thunderbird

Pages: 1
Recommend Print
  Author    Thunderbird
crpl
Posted: November 11th, 2010, 4:29pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member

After many moon phases I have identified A1-Click as the culprit of making some of my local folders and or sub folders to disappear to Thunderbird. I do a "New Sub-folder" in Thunderbird and put in the old name to get it back. I do believe I could also delete the msf file then restart Thunderbird and that would also probably fix the problem. I have gone over the A1-Click cleaner settings many times but cannot see anything wrong. Can someone help - direct me to try something. Thanks.
Logged Offline
It is HERE
A Revolutionary New Bible Version

Gain a Better Understanding of the Bible

No Bible Training Needed
Just Read and Find out God's Message to You

New Testament - Breakthrough Version
Go to - www.breakthroughversion.com - for more information.
Free Weekly Newsletter
Learn Tips about your Computer
from a Trusted, Knowledgeable Source

Subscribe to Ray's Computer Tips by entering your email address below and clicking on the button. We have a No Spam policy

This Forum brought to you by

Great Software
Forever Free Updates
Ray
Posted: November 12th, 2010, 3:50pm Report to Moderator
Administrator Group

What are you running in A1Click?  Clean PC?  Remove Tracks?  Run Settings?
   I would suspect the Registry Cleaner if you are having that.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 1 - 10
crpl
Posted: November 12th, 2010, 7:46pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member

I am using automatic scan, weekly, "Run Settings". I see Registry Clean in A1-Click. Is it actually part of the run settings but just not mentioned ? When I checked out the registry cleaner in A1 in detail I do not see e-mail mentioned anywhere ? What exactly should I be looking for ?
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 2 - 10
Ray
Posted: November 17th, 2010, 10:25am Report to Moderator
Administrator Group

It is mentioned in two places: one is on tab 6 of Cleaner Settings at the bottom and the other is on the Registry Cleaner page of Bonus Tools (there is a checkbox called Clean Checked Lists During Main Scan).  If you uncheck either of those checkboxes, it will stop scanning the registry.
   The part of the Registry Cleaner that is probably causing that is User Assist (Explorer).
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 3 - 10
crpl
Posted: November 17th, 2010, 3:00pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member

Okay I see that now but I cannot see how the registry can affect local folder email files. I looked at the registry particulars in A1 and there is no mention of e-mail. I also scanned the registry and found no occurrences to "local folder" or "localfolder". My local folders are in a private collection of folders and is called "Local Folders" . I put it there for safety, easy backup and portability. I have now unchecked "Clean Registry using settings in the Registry Cleaner section" as advised and have upped cleaning to daily. This problem is intermittent that's why it took many moon phases to track down what program was doing this. I won't miss the registry clean since I also have and use RegVac regularly.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 4 - 10
crpl
Posted: January 6th, 2011, 1:55pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member

A month ago I tested A1 with the registry scan eliminated. This did not alleviate the problem of disappearing local folders. After that I stopped running A1 automatically.
Now after more than a month I reset A1 to auto-daily and after it's 1st run I lost local folders again. So A1 is the culprit and it's not the registry scan. I must mention that my local folders are in a personal data folder not usually where Thunderbird would keep them. I have to, at this time, cease using A1 Click until a solution is found.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 5 - 10
Ray
Posted: January 6th, 2011, 5:14pm Report to Moderator
Administrator Group

It is very simple what A1Click does.  It deletes files.  The type of files that it deletes are listed in Cleaner Settings.  I would assume that Thunderbird puts the names of the folders in a file that A1Click is removing.  For example, if Thunderbird has a file with a .tmp ending that holds the names of the folders and you have Cleaner Settings checked so that it removes all .tmp files then when you run A1Click it will remove the .tmp file in Thunderbird and mess up the folders.
   I had suggested the Registry Cleaner because you said that you had gone through the Cleaner Settings and did not find anything.  If it is not the Registry Cleaner then it is something in Cleaner Settings.
   The solution to this is very simple.  Find out what file is being removed and make sure that A1Click is not set up to remove it.  Or if you know the location of the file, you can set A1Click up to skip that location.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 6 - 10
crpl
Posted: January 14th, 2011, 1:26pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member

I know what A1-Click does and the solution is simple. Or is it. I have selected only green buttons except for the "Yellow" buttoned "Empty Internet History" and "Remove Internet Cookies".

Now I have to troubleshoot your program on my own. I will test once again removing the two "Yellow' buttoned items and then continue on if this is not a fix. You apparantly no longer support A1-Click. Is that true ?
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 7 - 10
Ray
Posted: January 14th, 2011, 8:01pm Report to Moderator
Administrator Group

Good. Thank you.
   I am not sure what more you want us to do to support it.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 8 - 10
crpl
Posted: January 20th, 2011, 6:53pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member

Okay, I'm calling this one. It appears that Thunderbird does not like losing its empty files (local folders). When a folder has no email but does have sub folders with emails in them it creates an empty file with the folder name. This file should not be erased. I have also found an empty Roxio file that is required to prevent continuous re-installs. So A-1 Cleaner setting, tab 1, "Remove Empty Files" is not safe and should not be green. I have been Auto running A1 for 6 days without the remove empty files and have had no trouble with Thunderbird's local folders.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 9 - 10
Ray
Posted: January 21st, 2011, 4:02pm Report to Moderator
Administrator Group

Good.  Thank you.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 10 - 10
 Pages: 1
Recommend Print

Locked Board Board Index    Questions  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Thread Rating