Blue screen in Windows 7 April 23rd, 2017, 7:46pm
Home Calendar Search Register Login
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Computer Q&A Board    Your Input    Questions  ›  Blue screen in Windows 7

Pages: 1
Recommend Print
  Author    Blue screen in Windows 7
alanturk
Posted: September 5th, 2010, 5:40pm Report to Moderator
Medium Member

I have set up my new Windows 7 64-bit laptop to be wirelessly networked with my older XP desktop PC, which on the whole works well, but sometimes the laptop shows the dreaded blue screen. I suspect it may be when the router's signal is not strong enough, as it tends to happen when I am some distance away from it. This raises two questions:

1. I thought W7 was supposed to be more stable than XP, but XP has never given me a blue screen. Shouldn't I expect the application simply to stop working if the signal is too weak, not crash the entire machine?

2. Is there a way of ascertaining the signal strength, so that I can move to a more favourable position?

Any clues, anyone?
Logged Offline
It is HERE
A Revolutionary New Bible Version

Gain a Better Understanding of the Bible

No Bible Training Needed
Just Read and Find out God's Message to You

New Testament - Breakthrough Version
Go to - www.breakthroughversion.com - for more information.
Free Weekly Newsletter
Learn Tips about your Computer
from a Trusted, Knowledgeable Source

Subscribe to Ray's Computer Tips by entering your email address below and clicking on the button. We have a No Spam policy

This Forum brought to you by

Great Software
Forever Free Updates
zapp22_11
Posted: September 6th, 2010, 10:12am Report to Moderator
Baby Member

Hi    -- Your wireless connection should always show signal strength in bars. If you go to network & ask it to search for wireless connections it should find yours and show the signal strength -- at the area you are in. Move around the house and you can find good and bad areas. I live in a very small house & keep my wireless on the floor as it gives my laptop good reception in the house & drops off drastically outside ... I hope this helps a little. I have never gotten a blue screen from no connection [Windows 7 Home 64 bit] --- just no connection. There is something else happening.

Fred
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 1 - 7
alanturk
Posted: September 6th, 2010, 1:21pm Report to Moderator
Medium Member

Many thanks for the suggestion. I've worked out now how to see the signal strength, so I'll keep an eye on it in future.

I'm still puzzled about the blue screen, however. Next time I start up I get a message saying that Windows is checking the Internet for a solution, but it never seems to find one - in fact it just runs for a while, then vanishes without telling me whether it found anything or not, so I have to assume not.
Logged Offline
Reply: 2 - 7
zapp22_11
Posted: September 6th, 2010, 6:51pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member

I have never seen Windows find anything -- unlike Ubuntu [today I needed a windows 9 media codec to play a certain movie file -- It looked & found said it was restricted as in you should pay -- when I said install -- it installed for FREE. Unless you are a big gamer Ubuntu is a better way to do it. Cheaper -- does have problems in a small way with setting up printer scanners -- as in it takes about 30 + minutes --- sets up all by itself if it is HP printer once you install their software. Let me know what you find out --- always interested in fixes to problems. Good luck --- Oh one thing you should run is Regvac by Superwin software  -- works for 30 days for FREE & it will clean your registry of errors --- in 8++ years it never gave me a blue screen & does help your registry out a good bit. plus has a boot speedup that will continue working & only costs $29.95 for LIFE!!!!  A must for any machine, I have used behind Uniblue & some other registry cleaner & it found almost 500 more errors than either & like I said you can compact & save your registry in case of a big problem -- just need a bootable CD.  Just run it for FREE & see what it can do -- it could make to blue screen go away for good  --- I work o  computers & run this program on every one -- going to do it in about an hour for someone --  computer is running slow & this will fix that to a degree

Fred
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 3 - 7
Ray
Posted: September 7th, 2010, 3:30pm Report to Moderator
Administrator Group

The 64bit version of Windows 7 does have major bugs in it.
   I also have never had Windows find a solution when it looks for one.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 4 - 7
zapp22_11
Posted: September 7th, 2010, 5:03pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member

Hi Ray   -- between you and me that makes a lot of years with Windows   -- I got 3.1 when it first came [ better than Windows 7 in a lot of ways -- system could crash re-install & it would find your installed programs ] out as that is when I shifted from Apple/Macs to IBM -- I know I never had it find zip -- I guess it is to make you feel better that it is trying

Fred

Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 5 - 7
alanturk
Posted: September 8th, 2010, 6:29pm Report to Moderator
Medium Member

I too used 3.1 at work (I've retired now) and missed some of its features when W95 arrived. Maybe I slipped up in ordering W7 64-bit - it seemed to me it was to be the future and I wanted to be ready for it! Let's hope Microsoft soon produce a service pack to address the bugs mentioned by Ray. Having said that, everything I have wanted to use so far seems to run OK ... until the blue screen appears, that is. I think now I can exonerate the wireless link, as today I had a blue screen when the router was only a yard or so away. Oddly, when restarting, Windows reported a couple of files that had been created with the crash dump. One of them turned out to be a hidden file, which, once I found it, I tried to open, but it was blocked for some reason. I wonder what is in it. I also have one such file for each previous crash, with a date-coded filename. The other file I simply could not locate where it is supposed to be. The blue screen did suggest a few things to try, which I will do when I have the time, and I will post my findings, if any, in this thread. Thanks for your interest.
Logged Offline
Reply: 6 - 7
alanturk
Posted: September 9th, 2010, 6:50pm Report to Moderator
Medium Member

Following on from my last post, I checked the Microsoft website for anything that might look helpful, and found they recommended a utility from Nirsoft, but when I went to the Nirsoft website, Zone Alarm blocked it with a message saying that it is unsafe and is known to install spyware. An Internet search produced many favourable comments, but among them were warnings from McAfee and MessenPass. I felt I should pass this on in case anyone else has been having the same sort of problem and might have thought of using Nirsoft's software. (Nirsoft, of course, denies any such problem.)
Logged Offline
Reply: 7 - 7
 Pages: 1
Recommend Print

Locked Board Board Index    Questions  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Forum Rules