Unsolicited dial-up window July 24th, 2017, 6:40am
Home Calendar Search Register Login
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Computer Q&A Board    Your Input    Questions  ›  Unsolicited dial-up window

Pages: 1
Recommend Print
  Author    Unsolicited dial-up window
alanturk
Posted: September 4th, 2010, 1:35pm Report to Moderator
Medium Member

I'm using Windows XP Home. I recently changed from using an ADSL modem to a router which is connected to the Internet all the time. I never have to ask for an Internet connection, as it's always present while my PC is switched on. Sometimes, however, the dial-up window pops up unexpectedly, asking me to enter my password. I simply dismiss it and forget it, but I'm intrigued to know why it appears. Presumably something is running in the background and wants me to connect to the Internet. The only thing I can think of is BOINC, which does background analysis of "Seti@home" data, but it shouldn't need to ask. So how can I know for sure who is generating the unnecessary request? If it is BOINC, how can I tell it the Internet is already connected, so please to send its completed data results and download the next lot without asking?
Logged Offline
It is HERE
A Revolutionary New Bible Version

Gain a Better Understanding of the Bible

No Bible Training Needed
Just Read and Find out God's Message to You

New Testament - Breakthrough Version
Go to - www.breakthroughversion.com - for more information.
Free Weekly Newsletter
Learn Tips about your Computer
from a Trusted, Knowledgeable Source

Subscribe to Ray's Computer Tips by entering your email address below and clicking on the button. We have a No Spam policy

This Forum brought to you by

Great Software
Forever Free Updates
Ray
Posted: September 7th, 2010, 3:19pm Report to Moderator
Administrator Group

Sometimes there is a setting in the program that specifies how it connects to the internet.  For example, on the Connections tab of the Internet Options dialog of Internet Explorer (go to the Tools menu and select Internet Options at the bottom of the menu) there is a section that says "Choose Settings if you need to configure a proxy server for a connection."  Under that there are three choices:

• Never dial a connection
  • Dial whenever a network connection is not present
  • Always dial my default connection

"Never dial a connection" should be chosen.  If not, Internet Explorer will try to dial a connection.  This could be your problem or it could be a similar setting in a different program, like BOINC.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 1 - 3
alanturk
Posted: September 8th, 2010, 6:17pm Report to Moderator
Medium Member

You may have hit on it, Ray. Under the "Advanced" menu I found a "Preferences" item that yielded a "Network Usage" tab which had a check box labelled "Confirm before connecting to Internet". This may be the problem. I've unchecked it, so we wait to see if that makes a difference. If not, maybe there will be something similar for some other application. Many thanks for the suggestion.
Logged Offline
Reply: 2 - 3
alanturk
Posted: September 10th, 2010, 6:39pm Report to Moderator
Medium Member

Sadly i'm still getting the occasional dial-up window. The change to BOINC has made no difference. There must be a way of detecting which process is generating it - does anyone know how?
Logged Offline
Reply: 3 - 3
 Pages: 1
Recommend Print

Locked Board Board Index    Questions  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Forum Rules