Unexpected shutdown December 17th, 2017, 4:32am
Home Calendar Search Register Login
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Computer Q&A Board    Your Input    Questions  ›  Unexpected shutdown

Pages: 1
Recommend Print
  Author    Unexpected shutdown
edkraft
Posted: August 29th, 2010, 3:38pm Report to Moderator
Guest User

I have a Dell XPS 710 running Windows XP Pro.  The computer has suddenly started shutting itself off unexpectedly, sometimes after 5 or ten minutes, sometimes after several hours, sometimes I shut it off when I'm finished using it.  It has shut down by itself off 4 or 5 times within the space of one hour.  I've tried using system restore only to find all my prior restore points unusable.

Any suggestions?
It is HERE
A Revolutionary New Bible Version

Gain a Better Understanding of the Bible

No Bible Training Needed
Just Read and Find out God's Message to You

New Testament - Breakthrough Version
Go to - www.breakthroughversion.com - for more information.
Free Weekly Newsletter
Learn Tips about your Computer
from a Trusted, Knowledgeable Source

Subscribe to Ray's Computer Tips by entering your email address below and clicking on the button. We have a No Spam policy

This Forum brought to you by

Great Software
Forever Free Updates
Ray
Posted: August 30th, 2010, 4:14pm Report to Moderator
Administrator Group

It sounds like your power supply is going out.  Try replacing it.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 1 - 4
alanturk
Posted: September 4th, 2010, 1:26pm Report to Moderator
Medium Member

I'm not exactly a fan of restore points. I've never had one yet that could be used!
Logged Offline
Reply: 2 - 4
dickiesam
Posted: September 9th, 2010, 11:14am Report to Moderator
Baby Member

Re unexpected shut-downs.. Had a similar problem with a friend's lap-top. Turned out to be a power supply problem.

And on the side issue raised by Alanturk, I have never relied on the Windows System Restore. Used GoBack for a long time before it became part of Norton and I since that 'take-over' I have used RollBack RX from Horizon DataSys. It isn't cheap but it is very reliable with a friendly user interface. For instance, you set when you want the program to take a snapshots of the system state and it has saved me a 'serious headache' on a number of occasions. Their technical support is superb.

Dickiesam
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 3 - 4
nwlaurie
Posted: September 11th, 2010, 8:27am Report to Moderator
Guest User

Quoted from edkraft
I have a Dell XPS 710 running Windows XP Pro.  The computer has suddenly started shutting itself off unexpectedly, sometimes after 5 or ten minutes, sometimes after several hours, sometimes I shut it off when I'm finished using it.  It has shut down by itself off 4 or 5 times within the space of one hour.  I've tried using system restore only to find all my prior restore points unusable.

Any suggestions?

You might also consider overheating. Take the lid off and look under the fan on top of the cooling 'radiator' (ignore any fans in the power supply or fixed to the case itself). Often this will concentrate dust between the vanes of the radiator. A quick blast of air (use a drinking straw if you've nothing better) should clear the dirt and restore normal cooling.
e-mail Reply: 4 - 4
 Pages: 1
Recommend Print

Locked Board Board Index    Questions  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Forum Rules