Cleaning up the task manager listing October 18th, 2017, 7:38am
Home Calendar Search Register Login
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Computer Q&A Board    Your Input    Questions  ›  Cleaning up the task manager listing

Pages: 1
Recommend Print
  Author    Cleaning up the task manager listing
loisje
Posted: July 24th, 2010, 5:07pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member

Checking about how to clean up the task manager listing which seems to have sooooo
many listings that may or may not be necessary.  Also wondering how to really clean the hard drive of unnecessary items.  Have purchased your A1 Click Ultra PC Cleaner and your RegVac.  I installed your speed start; however it doesn't really offer me what I am looking for. What's your recommendations? Should I take my computer to Staples or a computer person who can clean it up. It operates so slowly and is only a couple years old. I tend to think it is all the "stuff" that is on it. I have a cable connection with turbo; however that didn't help. I thought it would be faster than Verizon DSL, but it isn't. Thanks for any help that one might give.
Logged Offline
It is HERE
A Revolutionary New Bible Version

Gain a Better Understanding of the Bible

No Bible Training Needed
Just Read and Find out God's Message to You

New Testament - Breakthrough Version
Go to - www.breakthroughversion.com - for more information.
Free Weekly Newsletter
Learn Tips about your Computer
from a Trusted, Knowledgeable Source

Subscribe to Ray's Computer Tips by entering your email address below and clicking on the button. We have a No Spam policy

This Forum brought to you by

Great Software
Forever Free Updates
Ray
Posted: July 26th, 2010, 2:32pm Report to Moderator
Administrator Group

Actually Speed Startup is the one that I would have recommended.  The items in the Task Manager are programs that are running and the processes that they are using.  The first place to look is to see what is starting automatically at startup.  Other than that there are things that Windows has in there which you cannot do anything about.  The only other possibility for the items in the Task Manager is that they are programs that you are running manually.  A program may have many processes running.
   If you have an antivirus program, it can slow things down a lot, especially on an older computer.  That is what I would suspect.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 1 - 7
loisje
Posted: July 27th, 2010, 12:50am Report to Moderator
Baby Member

I have the CA Internet Security Suite and it has an antivirus program in it....I probably should just take my computer to someone who is qualified to clean up all the unneeded stuff that has been added by myself or my grandsons over the last couple years......
Thanks so much.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 2 - 7
TBMike
Posted: July 31st, 2010, 9:51am Report to Moderator
Guest User

Cleaning up a computer is not that hard.  It does require some time and patience.
Ray provides some excellent tools to help you.
Start in the Control panel and remove or uninstall programs.
Remove any old games or software you do not use.  If in doubt do not remove.
You can check by taking a program name and google it to find out what it is.
Or come back here and ask.
After you have remove the obvious run Reg Vac to clear the registry.

Speed Startup will identify programs starting up every time that do not need to be.

A1 Ultra click will clear out the dead space on the hard drive.

All are safe and easy to use and require minimal computer skills!
e-mail Reply: 3 - 7
loisje
Posted: August 1st, 2010, 1:16am Report to Moderator
Baby Member

Thank you for the input. I think a lot of the sluggishness with my system is as a direct result of the CA Internet Security Suite that Road Runner (my ISP) uses. It seems to eat up the CPU's, like 50% or better. So you can imagine just how slow this makes my system. I am removing CA and installing Norton. At least I'll see.
Thanks again.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 4 - 7
Ray
Posted: August 2nd, 2010, 4:13pm Report to Moderator
Administrator Group

As I said before, an antivirus program can slow down the computer a lot.  This happens because the antivirus program checks files before you run them and checks emails and websites before you access them.  This takes time.  If you have a really fast computer, you may not notice any slowness caused by the antivirus program, but if you have a slower computer the slowness can be dramatic.  The more viruses an antivirus program checks for (and the number is increasing all of the time) the slower it will make your computer.  If you switch to a different antivirus program, the results should be the same unless that antivirus program does not check for as many viruses (which would not be a good thing).
   The only solutions that I see is get a faster computer, or don't use an antivirus program, or take more coffee breaks.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 5 - 7
Ray
Posted: August 6th, 2010, 2:54pm Report to Moderator
Administrator Group

Another thing that can slow your computer down a lot is Internet Explorer when you have more than one tab open.  It seems that the tab system of Internet Explorer has some design flaws that use up memory.  This is what I have observed, at least.  I have not heard anyone else mention it.
   So if your computer is running really slow and you have Internet Explorer open, try closing it and see if that improves things.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 6 - 7
Ray
Posted: August 18th, 2010, 2:50pm Report to Moderator
Administrator Group

One more suggestion.
   Often a program running in the backgroud will slow down your computer.  When your computer seems to be running too slow, go to the Task Manager, click on the Processes tab, and see which items are using high amounts of memory (compare the number in the Mem Usage column).  Not all of the ones with high memory usage are slowing your computer down but one or two of them may be.  You just have to figure out which one is hogging your memory.
   Ones that I have found to slow down my computer are wuauclt.exe (Windows' Updater), iexplore.exe (Internet Explorer), and Skype (even though I was offline and not using Skype).
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 7 - 7
 Pages: 1
Recommend Print

Locked Board Board Index    Questions  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Forum Rules