Winrescue - be great to have a Boot CD for Vista/7 June 27th, 2017, 12:23pm
Home Calendar Search Register Login
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Computer Q&A Board    Your Input    Questions  ›  Winrescue - be great to have a Boot CD for Vista/7

Pages: 1
Recommend Print
  Author    Winrescue - be great to have a Boot CD for Vista/7
pcumming
Posted: June 23rd, 2010, 12:07am Report to Moderator
Guest User

WinRescue - be great to have a Boot CD for Vista/7

As far as I know beginning with Vista, Microsoft in their infinite lack of wisdom got rid of restore points RP*.* (system, sam, default, security) that one could access like they used to XP. With Vista/7 afaik they now files that no one can really work with individually. I used to be able to help people by taking out their hard drive putting it in a USB enclosure and manually copying the RP back. Or one could use UBCD4WIN to boot from and use 3rd party registry restore on that CD, etc..

I had a crash (blue screen, would not boot) the other day on my own Win 7 (64 bit Ugh) laptop and like a lot of other users the recovery CD could not restore the restore points even though they were there. Something about the System drive had no restore points-but they were there. So I had to perform a recovery of the OS from the hidden partition.

Would be great if WinRescue had a built in bootable CD (kind of like Acronis/UBCD4WIN) that would allow you to extract the contents of those registry files it backed up and have it replace those files where appropriate in Vsta/7 (on an otherwise unbootable system).

Thanks
Peter
It is HERE
A Revolutionary New Bible Version

Gain a Better Understanding of the Bible

No Bible Training Needed
Just Read and Find out God's Message to You

New Testament - Breakthrough Version
Go to - www.breakthroughversion.com - for more information.
Free Weekly Newsletter
Learn Tips about your Computer
from a Trusted, Knowledgeable Source

Subscribe to Ray's Computer Tips by entering your email address below and clicking on the button. We have a No Spam policy

This Forum brought to you by

Great Software
Forever Free Updates
Ray
Posted: June 23rd, 2010, 1:54pm Report to Moderator
Administrator Group

We have XP Recovery CD Maker which will do that but you have to make the boot CD in Windows XP (Windows XP must have the I386 directory in the Windows directory with the files that come with it).  It can then be used to boot up Vista/7 and can restore WinRescue backups.
   I have not had the time to try and come up with a Vista/7 version of XP Recovery CD Maker.  It takes a lot of time and work to create.  That is why it is not included in WinRescue.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 1 - 1
 Pages: 1
Recommend Print

Locked Board Board Index    Questions  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Forum Rules