winsxs December 17th, 2017, 5:53pm
Home Calendar Search Register Login
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Computer Q&A Board    Your Input    Questions  ›  winsxs

Pages: 1
Recommend Print
  Author    winsxs
loisje
Posted: June 21st, 2010, 1:08am Report to Moderator
Baby Member

I have boo koos of listings under manifest cache, manifests as follows:
msil_accessibility_various numbers & letters.....
others have ehexthost with numbers & letters....
there are just so many of these that I am wondering whether or not I can delete any of them. thank you.
Logged Offline
It is HERE
A Revolutionary New Bible Version

Gain a Better Understanding of the Bible

No Bible Training Needed
Just Read and Find out God's Message to You

New Testament - Breakthrough Version
Go to - www.breakthroughversion.com - for more information.
Free Weekly Newsletter
Learn Tips about your Computer
from a Trusted, Knowledgeable Source

Subscribe to Ray's Computer Tips by entering your email address below and clicking on the button. We have a No Spam policy

This Forum brought to you by

Great Software
Forever Free Updates
Ray
Posted: June 21st, 2010, 4:26pm Report to Moderator
Administrator Group

They say not to delete any of them.  They may be used by programs that you have installed or programs that you will install in the future.
   They also say that Windows cleans up the WinSxS folder on its own even though it is slow in doing so.
   Windows has a couple of programs that can clean up WinSxS from previous service packs.  vsp1cln.exe will clean up files left over from the installation of SP1 (if you run it, SP1 cannot be uninstalled in the future should you ever want to do that).  Compcln.exe will do the same for SP2.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 1 - 4
loisje
Posted: June 22nd, 2010, 12:28am Report to Moderator
Baby Member

Thank you very much.  I checked and I have like 97. Guess I exaggerated a little, just seemed like a lot.  They go back to 2006, 2007 & on up to the present. But maybe I should just leave them? I was also wondering about backing them u on a flash drive for protective measures. What's your thoughts in that regard?
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 2 - 4
Ray
Posted: June 22nd, 2010, 2:07pm Report to Moderator
Administrator Group

If there is a chance that you or someone using your computer will go in there and delete them, then back them up.  Otherwise, I do not see a need to.
   What WinSxS does is keep a copy of every version of driver and manifest that your computer has used (and that Microsoft sends with Windows) so that if you run a program that needs an older version, it will find it in WinSxS and use it.  If you delete WinSxS, it is possible that everything will run fine or it is possible that it won't.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 3 - 4
loisje
Posted: June 22nd, 2010, 10:17pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member

So my best bet is just to leave all of them alone and to know they are really not taking up all that much space.  Thank you very much. I am just trying to speed up my system. I am suppose to have turbo with my cable connection; however if this is turbo, then I don't want any part of their regular. Seems like I have to wait much too long for things to load. Thanks again
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 4 - 4
 Pages: 1
Recommend Print

Locked Board Board Index    Questions  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Forum Rules