Slow XP bootup April 30th, 2017, 2:44pm
Home Calendar Search Register Login
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Computer Q&A Board    Your Input    Questions  ›  Slow XP bootup

Pages: 1
Recommend Print
  Author    Slow XP bootup
fross3
Posted: June 3rd, 2010, 5:36pm Report to Moderator
Guest User

Currently Windows takes 4-5 minutes or so to boot.  I bought Speed Startup hoping to make my Windows XP boot up more quickly.  However, It really hasn't helped very much.  A computer "nerd" pardon the expressions told me that over the last four years, Windows has most likely become corrupted and nothing will help other than reformatting my HD and reloading Windows.  He said that I would then have to re-add all the service releases as well not to mention all my programs and so forth. Oh, and backing up all manner of data files from Outlook to My Doc's Then, he suggested I just buy Windows 7.  Why not buy a new computer???

I have a Toshiba laptop with an Intel T2400 1.83 gHz and 2G RAM.  Can anyone give me GOOD advice?
It is HERE
A Revolutionary New Bible Version

Gain a Better Understanding of the Bible

No Bible Training Needed
Just Read and Find out God's Message to You

New Testament - Breakthrough Version
Go to - www.breakthroughversion.com - for more information.
Free Weekly Newsletter
Learn Tips about your Computer
from a Trusted, Knowledgeable Source

Subscribe to Ray's Computer Tips by entering your email address below and clicking on the button. We have a No Spam policy

This Forum brought to you by

Great Software
Forever Free Updates
Ray
Posted: June 4th, 2010, 6:08pm Report to Moderator
Administrator Group

My suggestions would be:  Make sure you have plenty of free space on C drive.  Defrag.  Make sure your computer is not infected by any viruses.  Run A1Click and RegVac.

The computer nerd you talked to was right except when he said that Windows becomes corrupt.  If Windows were corrupt, you would be getting errors all of the time.  The registry in Windows could be overloaded with junk (RegVac can help clean that up) and Windows could be loading and performing a lot of tasks that it does not have to do (Speed Startup tries to help with some of them) but Windows itself usually does not get corrupted.  Doing what he said to do could work but it is a big time-comsuming hassle to perform.

I personally prefer the new computer option.  It is a lot easier.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 1 - 1
 Pages: 1
Recommend Print

Locked Board Board Index    Questions  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Forum Rules