Messed up desktop June 27th, 2017, 7:09am
Home Calendar Search Register Login
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Computer Q&A Board    Your Input    Questions  ›  Messed up desktop

Pages: 1
Recommend Print
  Author    Messed up desktop
mitchell43
Posted: May 9th, 2010, 8:34pm Report to Moderator
Guest User

My friend has a Dell Inspiron 5100 laptop.  At a new web site he visited, Microsoft download page comes up with message:  This site might require the following ActiveXControl.  He clicked on Install Active X Control & computer froze up.  Now when he runs computer his desktop has a portion of MS download page overlaid with the Install Active X Control and a mouse pointer in a centered box about 1 1/2" X 2 1/2". Can anyone help with a fix?
It is HERE
A Revolutionary New Bible Version

Gain a Better Understanding of the Bible

No Bible Training Needed
Just Read and Find out God's Message to You

New Testament - Breakthrough Version
Go to - www.breakthroughversion.com - for more information.
Free Weekly Newsletter
Learn Tips about your Computer
from a Trusted, Knowledgeable Source

Subscribe to Ray's Computer Tips by entering your email address below and clicking on the button. We have a No Spam policy

This Forum brought to you by

Great Software
Forever Free Updates
Willk
Posted: May 10th, 2010, 4:06am Report to Moderator
Baby Member

Hi --- I have used a product called Reg-Cure which is excellent fixing the Active X problems with the registry. Also Reg-Vac addresses this problem. Unfortunately both of these products are not free. There is a product called CC Cleaner that is free but I am not sure how strong it is addressing this problem.  Good luck.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 1 - 5
mblair5028
Posted: May 22nd, 2010, 5:27pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member

There have been reports of CC Cleaner not working correctly in Win 7.  I've been told by 2 different IT Support groups to steer clear of it if you are using Win 7.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 2 - 5
mitchell43
Posted: May 24th, 2010, 2:25pm Report to Moderator
Guest User

Thanks for responses.  Reg-Vac has been run with no fix.  ActiveX is not installed.  It's the desktop screen that's got the permanent image embedded.  Beginning to wonder if it's corrupted Windows 6.  Everything runs fine, just the goofy desktop look.  He's probably going to have to put in play the old adage, Mind over Matter:  If you don't mind, it don't matter.
e-mail Reply: 3 - 5
Ray
Posted: May 24th, 2010, 6:40pm Report to Moderator
Administrator Group

That is strange.  Have you tried putting a new image as the desktop background (I am assuming that what you are talking about is the desktop background).
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 4 - 5
mitchell43
Posted: May 26th, 2010, 2:03pm Report to Moderator
Guest User

Hi, Ray.  Yes, I've changed the desktop background (different images), as well as color (he has it set on None with blue as color), to no avail.  Looks like it's a permanent anomaly.  He's not been griping about it, since I cleaned all the junk off his corn sheller & defragged it, so I guess he's accepted the look & happy with the way it's now runnin'.  Thanks to all for offered help.  
e-mail Reply: 5 - 5
 Pages: 1
Recommend Print

Locked Board Board Index    Questions  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Forum Rules