Deleting keys to DLLs safely? June 27th, 2017, 12:14pm
Home Calendar Search Register Login
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Computer Q&A Board    Your Input    Questions  ›  Deleting keys to DLLs safely?

Pages: 1
Recommend Print
  Author    Deleting keys to DLLs safely?
jim
Posted: April 29th, 2010, 9:27pm Report to Moderator
Guest User

I checked old posts about DLLs before asking this question.
Using RegVac>Software Cleaner>Suspect Keys, What should you check before deleting a  key pointing to a DLL used by an uninstalled program?
Example: \\EventMessageFile = C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ResLuComServer_3_1.DLL

I'm new to RegVac and registry work in general. I'm a bit timid about messing with dlls as I've seen others having huge problems after deleting or disconnecting dlls. I know RegVac doesn't delete dlls, only registry keys to or from them. I would feel better and it would be instructional to have a way or a tool that tracks all registry connections to-and-from a particular dll. (Hope I'm making sense so far.) I know there are ways to look up dependencies between programs and dlls, but I find the process cumbersome and piecemeal and without indication of any secondary registry linkages that could exist in a chain (if there are such things).

I guess my central question is whether someone can recommend a good dll exploration tool that would work well in tandem with RegVac.  I've used tools like Process Explorer, What's Running, DllArchive, and Dependency Walker ... none of which provide the big picture I'm looking for that relates programs to dlls, and they don't begin to show registry linkages. The closest thing that comes to mapping the registry part is Regedit which is a bit overwhelming, although I look at it all the time in conjunction with RegVac. By the way, love RegVac for its superior functionality and its instruction value.

If you don't mind, I would like to get some of your insights.
It is HERE
A Revolutionary New Bible Version

Gain a Better Understanding of the Bible

No Bible Training Needed
Just Read and Find out God's Message to You

New Testament - Breakthrough Version
Go to - www.breakthroughversion.com - for more information.
Free Weekly Newsletter
Learn Tips about your Computer
from a Trusted, Knowledgeable Source

Subscribe to Ray's Computer Tips by entering your email address below and clicking on the button. We have a No Spam policy

This Forum brought to you by

Great Software
Forever Free Updates
Ray
Posted: April 30th, 2010, 2:27pm Report to Moderator
Administrator Group

If the Software Cleaner finds a dll link in the Suspect Keys list, it means that the dll file that the link points to does not exist.  So the only thing I would think that you could do is check to make sure the dll file does not exist.
   Broken links in that part of the registry are usually indicators that the software pointing to that non-existent file has been uninstalled or deleted.  If you know that software is still in use, do not delete the Suspect Key.  But if you know that software has been uninstalled or deleted, there is no problem in deleting the Suspect Key.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 1 - 1
 Pages: 1
Recommend Print

Locked Board Board Index    Questions  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Forum Rules