Disk not completely erased May 25th, 2017, 8:42am
Home Calendar Search Register Login
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Computer Q&A Board    Your Input    Questions  ›  Disk not completely erased

Pages: 1
Recommend Print
  Author    Disk not completely erased
alanturk
Posted: March 31st, 2010, 10:34am Report to Moderator
Medium Member

I have an old hard disk which I wished to completely erase before disposing of it. I formatted it, then used Eraser, which I fondly imagined would leave me with a completely blank disk, but I find I have a recycle bin (which I guess I can ignore, as it does not refer to this disk) and a "System Volume Information" folder. This has a sub-folder "_restore{D8696F73-2D76-412A-A981-4300C43EF86F}", which in turn has a sub-folder "RP1232" containing a file "change.log", none of which can be deleted, even after changing the properties to be no longer read-only. I trust Eraser to have overwritten all my personal information, but am puzzled about the remaining bits and pieces. Any clues, anyone, please?
Logged Offline
It is HERE
A Revolutionary New Bible Version

Gain a Better Understanding of the Bible

No Bible Training Needed
Just Read and Find out God's Message to You

New Testament - Breakthrough Version
Go to - www.breakthroughversion.com - for more information.
Free Weekly Newsletter
Learn Tips about your Computer
from a Trusted, Knowledgeable Source

Subscribe to Ray's Computer Tips by entering your email address below and clicking on the button. We have a No Spam policy

This Forum brought to you by

Great Software
Forever Free Updates
Ray
Posted: March 31st, 2010, 2:02pm Report to Moderator
Administrator Group

Formatting a drive removes everything from the drive.  It does not leave anything.  Either you did not format the drive or what you see on the drive is really on a different drive.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 1 - 2
alanturk
Posted: April 3rd, 2010, 2:38pm Report to Moderator
Medium Member

Ray, thank you for that. I've done a few experiments since your reply and I find that, while formatting does indeed leave nothing on the disk, Eraser doesn't do the same! As soon as it starts, it immediately writes the things I found previously (except the reference to the Recycle Bin), but formatting again duly removed them again. I must say, that behaviour seems a bit odd, but I guess I have to live with it. I also found that Eraser reported an error if I left Windows Explorer open, but not if I closed it. Thanks for your comments, anyway.
Logged Offline
Reply: 2 - 2
 Pages: 1
Recommend Print

Locked Board Board Index    Questions  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Forum Rules