rundll2 problem October 16th, 2017, 9:58pm
Home Calendar Search Register Login
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Computer Q&A Board    Your Input    Questions  ›  rundll2 problem

Pages: 1
Recommend Print
  Author    rundll2 problem
thompson@radford.edu
Posted: February 27th, 2010, 6:48pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member

I  hope someone can help with this problem. My system is virus free (hopefully) and I clean the registry regularly. For some time now, I've had a problem. Two instances of rundll2 load at startup. When I forget to manually close them at shutdown, the system often hangs and sometimes gves a bluescreen when it is rebooted. I have scoured the net and found this isn't an uncommon problem but none of the suggested fixes worked. Is anyone familiar with this problem? Is there anyway that I can determine what causes these instances of rundll2 to start?
Logged Offline
It is HERE
A Revolutionary New Bible Version

Gain a Better Understanding of the Bible

No Bible Training Needed
Just Read and Find out God's Message to You

New Testament - Breakthrough Version
Go to - www.breakthroughversion.com - for more information.
Free Weekly Newsletter
Learn Tips about your Computer
from a Trusted, Knowledgeable Source

Subscribe to Ray's Computer Tips by entering your email address below and clicking on the button. We have a No Spam policy

This Forum brought to you by

Great Software
Forever Free Updates
Ray
Posted: March 3rd, 2010, 7:22pm Report to Moderator
Administrator Group

My guess would be that it is either a corrupted rundll2 (isn't it rundll32?) file or a program using rundll2 is not using it properly.  It is unlikely that the file is corrupted so I would suggest trying to figure out what is using it.  It has to be a program running at startup.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 1 - 4
thompson@radford.edu
Posted: March 7th, 2010, 1:46am Report to Moderator
Baby Member

Yes, it is rundll32, my bad; and it's the copy opened by Windows Explorer. All of the other apps that use rundll32 seem to be just fine and don't leave rundll32 running when they terminate. Would it make sense to replace rundll32 or Explorer? One odd aspect is that I don't even use Explorer directly but use VCOM's Powerdesk. I have installed the latest version of Powerdesk but the problem with Explorer remains. If it doesn't make sense to replace Explorer, what are the possible bad effects of somehow disabling it? (Is this even possible.)
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 2 - 4
thompson@radford.edu
Posted: March 7th, 2010, 1:49am Report to Moderator
Baby Member

My apologies for [osting again so quickly but I need to mention that the problem peristed after I uninstalled Powerdesk all together.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 3 - 4
Ray
Posted: March 8th, 2010, 6:21pm Report to Moderator
Administrator Group

I doubt anything is wrong with Explorer or rundll32.  You could replace rundll32, just make sure you get the right version.  I think the only way you can replace Explorer is to reinstall Windows.  I don't think that disabling Explorer is possible.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 4 - 4
 Pages: 1
Recommend Print

Locked Board Board Index    Questions  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Forum Rules