Computer boot problem April 23rd, 2017, 7:46pm
Home Calendar Search Register Login
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Computer Q&A Board    Your Input    Questions  ›  Computer boot problem

Pages: 1
Recommend Print
  Author    Computer boot problem
makinbakin
Posted: February 25th, 2010, 6:04pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member

I had to replace the [power adapter] for my lap top. A DIRECT Replacement from HP is not available but I replaced it with one from Tiger Direct that had the same specs. as the original one and was listed to work for my specific model. The first time I booted it it booted and worked fine, the next day when I booted  the computer ,it now freezes when it gets to the [Blue] Windows logo page . The thin line between the light blue and dark blue part of the page does not show that it is reading like it does on my other computers. I have left it at this point for 10 hours and it stays at that point. I have tried to boot using the safe mode but it does not boot to s/m it goes back to the regular windows logo page and again freezes. With The first boot with the new adapter I down loaded 13 new windows updates that were shown. Internet Exployer 8 failed to load  that is the only changes made to the computer. I had Windows XP installed on this computer several years ago at a computer repair store [ they have since closed] and they did not give me any discs. Where do I go from here?
Logged Offline
It is HERE
A Revolutionary New Bible Version

Gain a Better Understanding of the Bible

No Bible Training Needed
Just Read and Find out God's Message to You

New Testament - Breakthrough Version
Go to - www.breakthroughversion.com - for more information.
Free Weekly Newsletter
Learn Tips about your Computer
from a Trusted, Knowledgeable Source

Subscribe to Ray's Computer Tips by entering your email address below and clicking on the button. We have a No Spam policy

This Forum brought to you by

Great Software
Forever Free Updates
Ray
Posted: February 26th, 2010, 6:00pm Report to Moderator
Administrator Group

I would suggest that you get a boot CD/DVD and try it.  Knoppix sells one that has a Linus operating system on it for about $15.  If it also freezes during startup, there is probably something wrong on your motherboard.  If the boot CD/DVD works, the problem is probably with Windows.  You will need to buy Windows and install it, unless you have registry backups that you can restore to.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 1 - 4
makinbakin
Posted: February 27th, 2010, 5:49pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member

Thanks for your help. I don't think the motherboard is bad because everything worked fine until I did the up-dates. I have a Windows XP disc that I purchased some years ago. Can I reinstall that without loosing what is on the hard drive? I gave that disc to the people that repaired my computer at the store but they said they didn't want to use it because it was an old version and it would save money to use theirs because of all the updates.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 2 - 4
makinbakin
Posted: February 27th, 2010, 6:00pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member

Ray: come to think of it  before I did the updates I ran A1Click and RegVac would that have help any?
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 3 - 4
Ray
Posted: March 3rd, 2010, 7:13pm Report to Moderator
Administrator Group

I do not understand what you are asking about RegVac and A1Click.
   Yes, you should be able to do that without losing anything.  You should install it to the same directory as the old Windows (probably C:\Windows).
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 4 - 4
 Pages: 1
Recommend Print

Locked Board Board Index    Questions  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Forum Rules