Context Menu Integ Lost after RegVac In Win7-64 December 17th, 2017, 5:52pm
Home Calendar Search Register Login
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Computer Q&A Board    Your Input    Questions  ›  Context Menu Integ Lost after RegVac In Win7-64

Pages: 1
Recommend Print
  Author    Context Menu Integ Lost after RegVac In Win7-64
jpegman
Posted: February 9th, 2010, 2:42am Report to Moderator
Baby Member

I lose WinRar (64bit)  and Avira (32bit) context menu integration after running RegVac, even in NOVICE mode!.

I was going around in circles thinking WinRar and Avira had problems, until I realized that the context menu shortcuts to archive and folder scan were deleted after running RegVac. Also, Excel 2007 loses a dll file after each scan, and the next time I run excel, it detects the missing dll file, and automatically runs configuration restore to correct the problem.

Now, after each scan, I need to open up the WinRar options setup and deselect, then re-select shell integration, after which Winrar corrects the problem, and next I have to go to Add/Remove programs and select Avira, modify, and after it reinstalls Avira, I'm forced to reboot the PC since my antivirus is now shut down.

Another anomaly I've seen moving from WinXP (32) to Win 7 (64) is each registry scan is huge, typically 1200-1500 errors found after a few days of web browsing, an excel or word document edited and saved, and email and text file work. With WinXP doing my same typical usage, I would see a maybe 100-200 in Expert zone (all aggression defaults selected). Even with NOVICE mode, after a EXPERT mode scan and reboot, RegVac found 700 errors in Win 7-64.

Is this a windows 7 issue making this many changes to the registry, or is RegVac having a problem with Win7-64?
Logged Offline
It is HERE
A Revolutionary New Bible Version

Gain a Better Understanding of the Bible

No Bible Training Needed
Just Read and Find out God's Message to You

New Testament - Breakthrough Version
Go to - www.breakthroughversion.com - for more information.
Free Weekly Newsletter
Learn Tips about your Computer
from a Trusted, Knowledgeable Source

Subscribe to Ray's Computer Tips by entering your email address below and clicking on the button. We have a No Spam policy

This Forum brought to you by

Great Software
Forever Free Updates
Ray
Posted: February 9th, 2010, 6:22pm Report to Moderator
Administrator Group

You should be able to find the entry in the Undo section that is being removed to cause each of those problems.  It is usually only one entry for each.  Once you find it, you can have RegVac ignore it.  I would appreciate it if you would send me the list of entries that are causing the problems so that I can use them to improve RegVac.
   I think it is a Windows 7 issue.  Windows 7 does not allow some entries to be removed even if they are bad entries and so that can cause you to have higher results.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 1 - 9
jpegman
Posted: March 29th, 2010, 7:41pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member

Has there been any progress with these issues (losing context menu for Winrar and Avira)?

Also, it's frustrating to have to reinstall MSO 2007 (Excel and Word) after RegVac runs in Novice mode!

Am I the only one having these problems in Win 7 -64?

My current approach is to not use RegVac, but JV16 PowerTools to clean out the registry periodically, since it doesn't seem to have this problem (also isn't as aggressive as RegVac which I prefer, but, with RegVac's issues on my PC), I'm tired of going through hoops every time I run RegVac.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 2 - 9
Ray
Posted: March 30th, 2010, 3:59pm Report to Moderator
Administrator Group

If you find the entry that RegVac is removing and have it skip it, you will not have that problem.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 3 - 9
Ray
Posted: March 31st, 2010, 1:56pm Report to Moderator
Administrator Group

You could narrow down the problem by using the Expert Zone and cleaning each green section one section at a time until you find which one is causing the problem.  That may help you figure out which entry is causing the problem.
   If you don't find out which entry is causing the problem, you could still use RegVac by setting up Scan and Clean in the Expert Zone with all of the green sections marked except the one that causes the problems.  At least that would give you better cleaning than JV16.
   Let me know what you find out.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 4 - 9
jpegman
Posted: April 3rd, 2010, 10:50pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member

When I get a chance I will start to go through this routine, but, I have trouble believing that I'm the only one with the Excel and Word issues - maybe it's the programs I installed to make Win7 look like WinXP which I prefer (Windows classic Shell, Shell folder fix, places Bar editor, etc.)
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 5 - 9
jpegman
Posted: April 13th, 2010, 4:30am Report to Moderator
Baby Member

I tried the suggested method - expert mode-individual scans.

Classes scan resulted in 544 errors fixed and MSO excel failed to load - the installer had to reinstall both Excel and Word. The undo...reg file was 53K. I fixed MSO and rebooted (to reload the registry) and rescanned just classes. Got 528 hits this time (52K file  with loads of Microsoft, office, excel and word tests found using my text editor find function in the undo.reg file! Fixed MSO and rescanned an the undo was 0 bytes this time (guess the registry fix only works across a reboot!)

Tried the Lists scan and got a 2K undo.reg (rename each undo so subsequent scans does not overwrite the previous undo.reg file), and this time winrar and Avira context menus didn't work. Even though the undo.reg was so small, none of the removed links seemed related to either wirnrar or Avira.

What I don't understand (among a zillion other things in this world) is why the context links and MSO installation fail IMMEDIATELY after running RegVac, but subsequent scans WITHOUT a reboot ends with a 0 bytes undo.reg file!!!

The Junk scan had 0 hits and obviously no problems.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 6 - 9
Ray
Posted: April 13th, 2010, 5:15pm Report to Moderator
Administrator Group

Could you send the undo files to me attached to email?  I will look at them and see what I can figure out.  Be sure to tell me which undo files are which.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 7 - 9
mblair5028
Posted: April 20th, 2010, 12:46pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member

I'm also having problems with RegVac and Win 7-64 Home Edition.  I thought the problem was in my OS, however, after working with IT Support and having to re-install the OS twice, I've stopped using RegVac for the time being.  Something was causing my  MACD component to stop working.  I made a copy of the undo list that was generated just before the last crash.  I have it as a PDF file, however, I'm not sure where to email it to.

The program worked great with my XP OS.  I'm more than happy to send you the log.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 8 - 9
Ray
Posted: April 20th, 2010, 4:17pm Report to Moderator
Administrator Group

The undo lists are kept in files in the RegVac directory.  I cannot use a PDF file.   Unless the list only has a few entries in it, I usually cannot figure out which entries caused the problem.  In the olden days I could but now a days there is so much trash in the registry, it is much harder figuring out something like that.
   If you can fix the problem (which it sounds like you cannot) and then narrow down which part of RegVac is causing it (the Scan and Clean part in the Advanced Zone allows individual parts to be run), then you should be able to figure out which entries are the problem entries.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 9 - 9
 Pages: 1
Recommend Print

Locked Board Board Index    Questions  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Forum Rules