what's wrong with my computer is it dying? May 24th, 2017, 8:07am
Home Calendar Search Register Login
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Computer Q&A Board    Your Input    Questions  ›  what's wrong with my computer is it dying?

Pages: 1
Recommend Print
  Author    what's wrong with my computer is it dying?
mtmama
Posted: December 24th, 2009, 12:19am Report to Moderator
Guest User

MY computer is 7 years old and the fan keeps blowing very hard every 2 minutes.  Is that a sign that I need a new computer?  I'm running Win XP Home, and if I open and run more than 2 windows it all freezes and I have to physicaly shut if off....or just walk away for an hour till it figures out what to do.  Even ctrl alt delete doesn't work.  Should I just buy a new computer.........
It is HERE
A Revolutionary New Bible Version

Gain a Better Understanding of the Bible

No Bible Training Needed
Just Read and Find out God's Message to You

New Testament - Breakthrough Version
Go to - www.breakthroughversion.com - for more information.
Free Weekly Newsletter
Learn Tips about your Computer
from a Trusted, Knowledgeable Source

Subscribe to Ray's Computer Tips by entering your email address below and clicking on the button. We have a No Spam policy

This Forum brought to you by

Great Software
Forever Free Updates
Ray
Posted: December 24th, 2009, 8:57pm Report to Moderator
Administrator Group

Some fans are varible speed and blow harder when the inside gets hot.  You might take a vacuum or compressed air to it and see if you can clean up the inside.
   If you have Windows XP on DVD, I would try formatting the harddrive and reinstalling Windows XP.  Maybe that will speed things up.  You will have to reinstall everything else too.  Be sure to backup important files to a CD or DVD before doing this.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 1 - 8
mtmama
Posted: December 24th, 2009, 9:29pm Report to Moderator
Guest User

Thanks Ray, I have vacuumed the fan but maybe the compressed air will dislodge years of dust.
e-mail Reply: 2 - 8
dickiesam
Posted: January 7th, 2010, 9:55am Report to Moderator
Baby Member

Hi,
Just a thought! I had a similar problem some years ago with an ageing computer and it didn't go away even after vacuuming inside the case. Then I discovered that the blades of the small fan attached to the processor were covered in a kind of 'gunge'. I removed the fan and cleaned the blades carefully with a blunt knife and alcohol. Problem solved and my ageing computer is still running.
Dickiesam
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 3 - 8
mtmama
Posted: January 7th, 2010, 7:59pm Report to Moderator
Guest User

Hi,  I guess I should have posted after I fixed the fan problem.  You're right dickiesam, vacuuming the fan wasn't enough.....I took the fan out and did a good cleaning......but that wasn't the only problem.  The copper looking thing with all the holes where the air exhaust from was also plugged up with all that gunky stuff.  Now it's running great......well sort of, next thing is to figure out how to put in more memory.  Thanks for your input.
e-mail Reply: 4 - 8
dickiesam
Posted: January 7th, 2010, 8:10pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member

Great to hear the PC is working again. As for more memory, there are plenty of sites to help you with extra RAM. I found this to be one of the better ones:
http://www.crucial.com/promo/index.aspx?prog=uslp_clickscansnap&pid=1661367

It even includes a 'RAM scanner tool' to find out what spec ram you already have. And, Crucial Ram is reasonably priced.

Dickiesam
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 5 - 8
mtmama
Posted: January 7th, 2010, 8:49pm Report to Moderator
Guest User

Thanks again for the information.........I did check it out and used it to scan my computer to see what's compatible.  It sure did help in finding out what exactly would work for my computer.     Next step is to learn how to get to the memory chip to change it.   As you can tell I'm a real novice.
e-mail Reply: 6 - 8
dickiesam
Posted: January 7th, 2010, 10:56pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member

Lots of help if you google something like "how to fit extra RAM" without the quotes.
Several very good sites telling you exactly how to go about removing the old RAM and fitting the new.

From memory (!) the Crucial site has good instructions on it as well. And lots of warnings about being very careful not to touch the tracks or the chips on the ram boards with your fingers! They are very static sensitive.

Dicxkiesam
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 7 - 8
mtmama
Posted: January 8th, 2010, 12:40am Report to Moderator
Guest User

Thanks again.........I've got a lot to learn.  But I'm learning fast that there's a lot of help out there.  
e-mail Reply: 8 - 8
 Pages: 1
Recommend Print

Locked Board Board Index    Questions  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Forum Rules