WinRescue XP fails to backup Software file August 21st, 2017, 3:02am
Home Calendar Search Register Login
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Computer Q&A Board    Your Input    Questions  ›  WinRescue XP fails to backup Software file

Pages: 1
Recommend Print
  Author    WinRescue XP fails to backup Software file
ddantes
Posted: December 1st, 2009, 8:31pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member

I am using WinRescue XP on a system with Windows XP Professional SP-3 (recently upgraded from Windows 2000).  Running a backup with standard configuration options results in a message -- The following files could not be copied:  SOFTWARE key.  Please advise how to correct this.  Thanks!
Logged Offline
It is HERE
A Revolutionary New Bible Version

Gain a Better Understanding of the Bible

No Bible Training Needed
Just Read and Find out God's Message to You

New Testament - Breakthrough Version
Go to - www.breakthroughversion.com - for more information.
Free Weekly Newsletter
Learn Tips about your Computer
from a Trusted, Knowledgeable Source

Subscribe to Ray's Computer Tips by entering your email address below and clicking on the button. We have a No Spam policy

This Forum brought to you by

Great Software
Forever Free Updates
Willk
Posted: December 1st, 2009, 11:11pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member

Are you using by any chance AVG 9.0?  It is known to cause this problem. I had to uninstall it from my (2) XP machines in order to get Winrescue XP and Winrescue to work. AVG is not admitting to it.  
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 1 - 7
ddantes
Posted: December 2nd, 2009, 12:58am Report to Moderator
Baby Member

Hi WillK:  Thank you for your comment.  No, I am using Norton AV 2009.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 2 - 7
Ray
Posted: December 2nd, 2009, 4:47pm Report to Moderator
Administrator Group

For some reason there has been a problem with backing up the Software section of the registry.  Something on your computer has caused this problem.  We have never come across that problem and so I do not know what caused that.  If you received any other error messages before or after this in WinRescue, they may help point to what the problem could be.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 3 - 7
ddantes
Posted: December 2nd, 2009, 5:59pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member

Ray:  Thank you for replying.  This morning I tried a backup and there was no SOFTWARE key error.  Instead there was an error that the Windows\r29 directory could not be removed, probably because its contents are in use by another application.  It should be removed manually.  I removed that directory, then used Extractor to see if the SOFTWARE key had been backed up, which it had.  Afterwards the backup worked normally.  Something similar happened a couple of years ago, using WinRescue 2000 on the same computer but I didn't report it.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 4 - 7
Willk
Posted: December 2nd, 2009, 6:25pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member

Hi --- If you read the forum this happened to myself and another with WinrescueXP. I can say for sure it is either the Virus scan on line module or your spyware software monitor. I just disable the online scanners just to run WinrescueXP and Regvac. If I do that I never have a problem.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 5 - 7
ddantes
Posted: December 2nd, 2009, 6:54pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member

That is good to know.  Thank you for the info!
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 6 - 7
Ray
Posted: December 3rd, 2009, 5:23pm Report to Moderator
Administrator Group

What happened with the Software key error must have been a glitch in Windows or some type if temporary interference.  If you do not get the error, the backup is good.
   The error about the r29 directory not being able to be removed is not related to that and in no way harms the backup.  The backup is still good.  You received that error because something did not allow WinRescue to delete the temporary folder that it made.  Any of the folders there starting with an r and having a number of 27 and up are temporary folders and may be deleted.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 7 - 7
 Pages: 1
Recommend Print

Locked Board Board Index    Questions  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Forum Rules