WinRescueXP not working April 30th, 2017, 2:51pm
Home Calendar Search Register Login
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Computer Q&A Board    Your Input    Questions  ›  WinRescueXP not working

Pages: 1, 2, 3 » : All
Recommend Print
  Author    WinRescueXP not working
Lofty
Posted: October 31st, 2009, 12:52pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member

Some days WinRescueXP will back up the Registry and some days it won't. Today the error message read to the effect that I must use Windows Explorer to delete r31. I have not only deleted this folder but have shredded it too and now I get the same error message for r30, even though I have deleted and shredded this using Webroot's Window Washer.

How please do I restore WinRescueXP to normal working?
Logged Offline
It is HERE
A Revolutionary New Bible Version

Gain a Better Understanding of the Bible

No Bible Training Needed
Just Read and Find out God's Message to You

New Testament - Breakthrough Version
Go to - www.breakthroughversion.com - for more information.
Free Weekly Newsletter
Learn Tips about your Computer
from a Trusted, Knowledgeable Source

Subscribe to Ray's Computer Tips by entering your email address below and clicking on the button. We have a No Spam policy

This Forum brought to you by

Great Software
Forever Free Updates
Ray
Posted: November 5th, 2009, 3:54pm Report to Moderator
Administrator Group

It sounds like WinRescue is working.
   r27, r28, r29 and on up are temporary folders created and used by WinRescue.  WinRescue tries to delete the temporary folder when it is finished with it but your computer is not allowing it to.  That is why you are getting that error.  The backup is still good.
   When you figure out why your computer is not allowing WinRescue to delete those folders and you fix that, the problem will be solved.
   The problem may be that your computer is making those folders read-only.  Try checking to see if the parent folder of the r31 folder is read-only.  If it is, uncheck it.  You only have to uncheck it once.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 1 - 42
Lofty
Posted: November 5th, 2009, 4:41pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member

Many thanks for your advice Ray!

Sorry to be dense, but I see that r27-r31 (both inclusive) appear to have the path C:\WINDOWS\r27 ... Above these folders is one called pss and another called Provisioning, so which please do I uncheck.

It will be great to get WinRescue working normally again.

Thanks in advance.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 2 - 42
Willk
Posted: November 6th, 2009, 1:57am Report to Moderator
Baby Member

I posted this as a seperate question. I just started to have the same problem as you.  I found by de-activating AVG 9.0 and SPYSWEEPER build 141, I did not get the error. I believe one of them is locking up that Temp directory so the program can not get rid of it. Let me know what you think. Thanks. Willk
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 3 - 42
Lofty
Posted: November 6th, 2009, 7:03am Report to Moderator
Baby Member

Yes I have AVG Internet Security 9.0 for which I have just bought another 12 month's cover on and from January 1, 2010. I have had AVG Internet Security for the past two years, but have not before had this problem with WinRescueXP.

I do not have the other software mentioned by Willk.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 4 - 42
Ray
Posted: November 6th, 2009, 3:00pm Report to Moderator
Administrator Group

I think Willk may be onto something there.  Try disabling AVG and then running WinRescue and see if that corrects the problem.
   As far as your question earlier is concerned the parent folder of r27-r31 would be C:\Windows.  Try unchecking the Read-only checkbox of C:\Windows.  You can delete the r27-r31 folders.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 5 - 42
Lofty
Posted: November 6th, 2009, 3:23pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member

Thanks Ray!

I have sent an email to AVG Technical Support earlier today as version 9.0 of AVG Internet Security may be affecting Malware Bytes adversely as well as WinRescue XP.

I will let you know when I hear back from AVG although they are apologising for tardy replies at the moment.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 6 - 42
Willk
Posted: November 7th, 2009, 6:56pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member

I just finished doing a full scan using the new AVG 9.0.  This time Winrescue XP gave me an error message and said it could not back up the Registry. I waited and disabled it and the program then ran to completion. What is the problem here with AVG 9.0. I also found out that AVG 9.0 totally disables Windows Defender.  I will also send them an E-Mail complaining about this. This is a shame as Winrescue XP has run for me since 2003 without ever an issue. Willk........    
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 7 - 42
Willk
Posted: November 7th, 2009, 9:20pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member

Just another follow up.  I sent an E-Mail to AVG Tech support. You can see on their current FAQ'S the one about Windows Defender. We need this resolved because we have to be sure that we are getting a complete and good backup from Winrescue. At one point it errored out and I got an incomplete file go to the Winrescue folder. Will be in contact. Willk
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 8 - 42
Willk
Posted: November 7th, 2009, 9:38pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member

I forgot in my last comment. Regvac has a registry backup option. If you have this Super Win software on your system it seems to work fine. I will use in addition to Winrescue until AVG and Winrescue problem is resolved. Willk
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 9 - 42
Lofty
Posted: November 9th, 2009, 12:46pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member

A program update to AVG Internet Security 9.0 was issued today. This seems to have solved the problem above in that WinRescueXP backed up the registry with no reported problems.

Thanks to Ray and Willk for their useful comments.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 10 - 42
Willk
Posted: November 9th, 2009, 9:53pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member

Yes I noticed a new BUILD (704) that AVG did.  I had no trouble with Winrescue today.  I still think it is a good idea to disable any of those spyware or virus on line scanners when doing the Winrescue backup. Willk
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 11 - 42
Lofty
Posted: November 10th, 2009, 10:09am Report to Moderator
Baby Member

I spoke too soon! I have just tried to back up the registry with WinRescueXP and the old warning of no backup made has just reappeared. So back to AVG!
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 12 - 42
Willk
Posted: November 10th, 2009, 7:16pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member

AVG had a lot of issues on their FAQ but they did not mention Winrescue.  They probably have not fixed this issue yet. It has to be the Resident Shield Component that is causing the problem. My advice is just shut that component down, just to do the Winrescue backup until they straighten out the problem. Also if you have a spyware program that has a resident shield disable that also. It could be AVG conflicting with the spyware software contributing to the problem with Winrescue. What a mess. You can thank Win 7 for this mess. These software vendors are trying to adjust to Windows 7 forgetting about all the other 3rd party software people are running.  
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 13 - 42
Lofty
Posted: November 10th, 2009, 7:56pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member

Thanks for your posting Willk!

On Saturday last (November 7) I had four emails from AVG Technical Support and followed each through exactly reporting results to AVG. It was only when AVG Internet Security 9.0 was uninstalled that WinRescueXP would back up the registry without error messages. The release of version 9.0.704 I see was on November 5, so it is possibly not surprising that the new software still conflicts with WinRescueXP.

I also have RegVac, but an error message is received if I try and back up the registry using that program. The error message reads: 'Unable to write to C:\WINDOWS\system32\RegVac\20091110\user.ini'.

I did report this continuing unsatisfactory state of affairs earlier today to AVG, but have heard nothing more from them other than the usual automatic acknowledgement. I have just renewed my AVG licence for another 12 months, so cannot really ditch AVG.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 14 - 42
 Pages: 1, 2, 3 » : All
Recommend Print

Locked Board Board Index    Questions  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Forum Rules