Free AV? April 27th, 2017, 4:53pm
Home Calendar Search Register Login
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Computer Q&A Board    Your Input    Questions  ›  Free AV?

Pages: 1
Recommend Print
  Author    Free AV?
timobrien
Posted: October 31st, 2009, 10:59am Report to Moderator
Baby Member

I was wondering if any of the free anti virus software readily available on the web was any good? I've seen Avast, AVG, Bit defender, etc. Does anyone know if these do a proper job?
Logged Offline
It is HERE
A Revolutionary New Bible Version

Gain a Better Understanding of the Bible

No Bible Training Needed
Just Read and Find out God's Message to You

New Testament - Breakthrough Version
Go to - www.breakthroughversion.com - for more information.
Free Weekly Newsletter
Learn Tips about your Computer
from a Trusted, Knowledgeable Source

Subscribe to Ray's Computer Tips by entering your email address below and clicking on the button. We have a No Spam policy

This Forum brought to you by

Great Software
Forever Free Updates
Cassandra
Posted: October 31st, 2009, 6:53pm Report to Moderator
Minimum Member

I know of at least 2 excellent ones:

Avira Antivir:  I used it for years, although after a recent scare on my home network I'm looking at paid AVs to add some functions.
Avast:  I have been testing it intensively for a few days, and it seems excellent.  I am actually testing the paid version, but almost the only difference is in flexibility of configuration:  If you normally use AVs in their default configuration, you might as well stick with the free version.

For me, the most import parameters for an AV are sensitivity, speed, and avoidance of false positives.  Avira and Avast both tend to get good marks on both.  You can see some test results prettily laid out at http://www.av-comparatives.org/images/stories/test/ondret/avc_report23.pdf .

Good luck.
C.  
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 1 - 3
timobrien
Posted: December 9th, 2009, 9:36pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member

Thanks much for the info. I have downloaded and installed Avast on my two home machines. Will keep all appraised of functionality.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 2 - 3
rockytopp
Posted: January 4th, 2010, 10:40pm Report to Moderator
Guest User

I have been using the free version of Avast for about 3 years now and it is excellent. It scans all emails both incoming and outgoing. When I receive an email that has a virus, it lets me know immediately, almost before it is loaded into my inbox, and gives me instructions on how to handle it. The only thing that might bother some, is that it scans each time you hook up to the internet, and this slows down the computer for 2-3 minutes. But I feel it is worth it. The updates are made daily at stratuo and never cause a problem.
rockytopp
e-mail Reply: 3 - 3
 Pages: 1
Recommend Print

Locked Board Board Index    Questions  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Forum Rules