XP Pro slow shutdown August 22nd, 2017, 7:22am
Home Calendar Search Register Login
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Computer Q&A Board    Your Input    Questions  ›  XP Pro slow shutdown

Pages: 1
Recommend Print
  Author    XP Pro slow shutdown
timobrien
Posted: September 24th, 2009, 6:40pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member

OS is XP Pro SP3.  When I reboot or shutdown the computer stalls for about 25 seconds at the "Windows is shutting down" screen. Is there a way to speed up the shutdown / reboot process? OS was recently reloaded.
Logged Offline
It is HERE
A Revolutionary New Bible Version

Gain a Better Understanding of the Bible

No Bible Training Needed
Just Read and Find out God's Message to You

New Testament - Breakthrough Version
Go to - www.breakthroughversion.com - for more information.
Free Weekly Newsletter
Learn Tips about your Computer
from a Trusted, Knowledgeable Source

Subscribe to Ray's Computer Tips by entering your email address below and clicking on the button. We have a No Spam policy

This Forum brought to you by

Great Software
Forever Free Updates
Ray
Posted: September 25th, 2009, 11:08pm Report to Moderator
Administrator Group

Shut down all programs before you shut Windows down.  My guess is that Windows is shutting something down.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 1 - 8
timobrien
Posted: September 28th, 2009, 9:34am Report to Moderator
Baby Member

Right, good advice. All programs are shutdown prior to computer shutdown. Still hangs at "Windows is shutting down." for about 25 seconds.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 2 - 8
pcrepairbill
Posted: October 10th, 2009, 7:11am Report to Moderator
Baby Member

Hello, Could you give some more specifics on the configuration of your system? If it is part of a network, sometimes the shutdown will be slowed by closing network connections, also, if you use a back-up or portable hard drive that is set to sync with your folders, it will hang while it finishes writing. There are some other reasons for hanging, but having the configuration would aid in diagnosing the concern. Thank you, Bill.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 3 - 8
timobrien
Posted: October 16th, 2009, 11:40am Report to Moderator
Baby Member

System is not part of a network but it is on a wireless connection. I do use a couple of different external HD's for back ups but those are turned off ind disconnected prior to shutdown.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 4 - 8
timobrien
Posted: November 22nd, 2009, 5:17pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member

H-E-L-L-O!? Anybody home? Comments, opinions on XP Slow shutdown?

Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 5 - 8
Ray
Posted: November 23rd, 2009, 4:53pm Report to Moderator
Administrator Group

We are here.  We are home.  I have no comments or opinions.  That is why I did not put anything.  I assume no one else has any either.  If they did, they would have put something.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 6 - 8
Willk
Posted: November 28th, 2009, 1:50am Report to Moderator
Baby Member

I have Webroot Spysweeper on my XP Pro machine and yes, it takes about 20 seconds to end that process. Try exiting any active spyware programs before shutdown.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 7 - 8
timobrien
Posted: December 13th, 2009, 5:24pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member

After months of research I came up with this article. Enjoy!  : D

SHUTDOWN HANGS ON “SAVING YOUR SETTINGS”

During shutdown or reboot, Win XP may hang (stop responding) at the “saving your settings” screen. During such a hang, there is no response to Ctrl+Alt+Del; the mouse may or may not work. The problem may be intermittent.

This is a known bug in Windows XP, for which Microsoft has a supported fix. To learn how to get this patch, see MSKB 307274, “Windows XP Stops Responding (Hangs) During Windows Shutdown.” The necessary patch is included in Windows XP Service Pack 2, and also is now available on the Windows Update site under “Recommended Updates” for Win XP Professional, titled “Restarting Windows XP.” However, to find it, you may need to reconfigure how Windows Update appears for you, by enabling the Windows Update Catalog as follows: At the Windows Update page, click Personalize Windows Update at the left, and then Enable the Windows Update Catalog. Save your settings. This adds the Windows Update Catalog link in the left box. Click this link, then click Find updates for Microsoft Windows systems. Pick Windows XP in the drop-down list, click Search, take Recommended Updates, and find the “Restarting Windows XP” patch which references Q307274.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 8 - 8
 Pages: 1
Recommend Print

Locked Board Board Index    Questions  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Forum Rules