HP Printer Ink Monitor October 18th, 2018, 6:47pm
Home Calendar Search Register Login
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Computer Q&A Board    Your Input    Questions  ›  HP Printer Ink Monitor

Pages: 1
Recommend Print
  Author    HP Printer Ink Monitor
corandy
Posted: July 22nd, 2008, 5:13pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member

I have two HP PSC 1315 all-in-one printers connected to two separate computers running WIN XP SP2 with IE 6.0 and Windows LiveOneCare as the firewall/virusscan software.  Everything works fine with the printers except that the ink monitoring function RECENTLY stopped working on both.  The HP Ink Monitoring software returns an error message saying it cannot establish two way communication with the printer.  Nothing has changed in the overall software environment other than WIN XP and LiveOneCare updates.  Does anyone have suggestions for remedy on the Ink Monitor?  

Is there any third party software available which monitors ink levels on these HP printers?  

I've spent hours uninstalling and re-installing the HP software and drivers to no avail.  HP tech support is useless.  I stopped implementing their suggestions when they wanted me to make massive Windows registry changes???!!!

The firewall seems to be allowing the HP printer software (but maybe somehow the HP ink monitoring software is being blocked???).  I also noticed that when I go to printer-properties-ports for these two printers, the option to "enable bidirectional support" is grayed out?????  This is not grayed out for my other HP printers.  Both computers can communicate with their respective HP 1315s for printing, scanning, head alignment, and cartridge cleaning but NOT for the ink monitoring.

Any help would be appreciated.
Logged Offline
A New Bible Built with Modern Technology

New Testament - Breakthrough Version

www.breakthroughversion.com

The Breakthrough Version achieves a much higher level of accuracy. It is:

• more literal
  • more precise
  • more contemporary
  • more correct
  • more consistent

This Bible even translates hundreds of forgotten Greek words that no other Bible does.

It is an essential tool for Bible teachers and students, yet it is easy to read, even for newbies.

rayprice
Posted: July 27th, 2008, 12:34pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member

Hi,
It would seem that you have a communication problem between the monitoring chips on the machine(s) and the cartridge(s) which leads me to suggest you have used non-HP cartidges.
If you have genuine cartidges then take them out and clean the copper strip parts of the catridges with something like nail varnish remover or alcohol from a tape cleaning kit and cotton bud.
This sometimes makes the printer think you have inserted new cartridges.
Epson is very bad with the problems you have but I've found it rarely with other makes.
ray
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 1 - 2
corandy
Posted: July 28th, 2008, 5:45pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member

Ray:
Thanks for the input.  While you might be on the right track, cleaning the copper strips on the cartridges didn't resolve anything.  Also, I've only used HP cartridges (although sometimes refilled).  I do uspect that it is somehow HP software related since the same problem arose at the same time on two identical HP PSC 1315s connected to two separate computers.  I too have had the Epson experience to which you refer and it looks like HP might be sinking to the same level.  I did come across an article on the internet

http://64.233.167.104/search?q.....p;hl=en&ie=UTF-8

claiming that HP somehow sabotages the ink monitor via the cartridge copper contacts for users who use refilled HP cartridges.  Don't know if the allegations are true but here are some more interesting links.

http://news.cnet.com/HP-cracks-down-on-cartridge-refill-industry/2100-1047_3-5905212.html

http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/0/187/RipOff0187832.htm

http://www.ripoffreport.com/se.....mp;submit2=Search%21

If indeed these are true then HP does not get my repeat business.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 2 - 2
 Pages: 1
Recommend Print

Locked Board Board Index    Questions  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Forum Rules