Windows cannot find Excel files October 31st, 2014, 7:46pm
Home Calendar Search Register Login
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Computer Q&A Board    Answers    Other Programs  ›  Windows cannot find Excel files

Pages: 1
Recommend Print
  Author    Windows cannot find Excel files
redbird
Posted: January 28th, 2006, 4:26am Report to Moderator
Baby Member

My Computer's OS is MS Win XP Home.  I also use MS Excell 97.  For three years the combination has worked fine.  Today when attempting to access my Excell files, received messages that Windows cannot find them.  I can open MS Excell and use the files from Excell's "Recently Used List." Unfortunately, that is set for only four files.  I can find all the appropriate files in the Documents and Settings Folder, but Windows can't find them.  Please help!  Thank you very much.  Sincerely, redbird.
Logged Offline
A Revolutionary New Bible Version
is Coming

More Accurate than the KJV

Easier to Understand
than the Living Bible

The Bible for a New Generation
Go to - www.bible4ang.com - for more information.
Free Weekly Newsletter
Learn Tips about your Computer
from a Trusted, Knowledgeable Source

Subscribe to Ray's Computer Tips by entering your email address below and clicking on the button. We have a No Spam policy

This Forum brought to you by

Great Software
Forever Free Updates
dlwolff0
Posted: January 30th, 2006, 12:10am Report to Moderator
Big Member

Have you tried using detect & repair option under help on the Excel toolbar?
This should repair the shortcuts to the files you were previously able to use.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 1 - 6
redbird
Posted: January 30th, 2006, 7:04pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member

Thank you for your input.  Couldn't find "detect and repair."  Perhaps it was not offered on Excell 97.
Also my subject data is faulty.  It should be "Windows cannot find Excell files."  Sorry about that.  Excell works fine.  Am able to drag and drop my Excell files from the MY Doctuments Folder to Excell.  That way can work all my Spreadsheets.  The problem is cannot access them thru Start-Most Recently Used Files.  Nor can I retrieve them by going to My Documents and clicking on them.  A warning pops up in each case saying "Windows cannot find the file, stating that perhaps the name was mistyped, etc."  The files are where they should be in the Documents and Settings Folder.   But Windows just can't find them.

Thanks again for the time and effort you took.  Redbird.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 2 - 6
Ray
Posted: February 10th, 2006, 8:13am Report to Moderator
Administrator Group

It sounds like Windows no longer associates the file type with Excel or it associates it with an old location of Excel.  The easy way to solve this is to reinstall Excel to the same place that it is now.  That should set up the associations.
   You also may be able to solve this using Windows Explorer.  You might try right clicking on the file, choosing OpenWith, and then set Excel as the program to open it with.
   You can also go to the Tools menu of Windows Explorer and select Folder Options.  On the Folder Options dialog box click on the File Types tab.  Find the file type of your Excel files that you are trying to open.  If you look around at the settings for that file type, you may find your problem.  You can then specify Excel as the program to open them.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 3 - 6
redbird
Posted: February 13th, 2006, 8:07pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member

Thank you very much Ray.  I performed each of the steps you suggested without any success.  While I'm not computer proficient, I know that you are right on with your summation of the problem.  Am using MS Office 97, Professional.  It has a feature on the CD that allows its installed components to be reinstalled to correct minor problems.  Have run that option without any success.  Do you think a complete reinstallation would be in order?  If so, would it be necessary to uninstall Office 97 first?  Have only installed Word 97, Excel 97 and the Office 97 Short cut Bar.  Would I lose any work product?  Everything has been saved to the hard disk.

HP Tech Support has been unable to provide any helpful suggestions, though they are working on it..  So hope that you can.

Thank you once again.  Redbird.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 4 - 6
Ray
Posted: February 15th, 2006, 12:29pm Report to Moderator
Administrator Group

I never had much success with the Repair option that you described either.
   I would hope that reinstalling it to the same place without uninstalling Office 97 would work.  So I would try that first.  If that doesn't work, I would try uninstalling Office 97 and then reinstalling.  Surely that will work.
   Make sure that you back up any of your documents that were made with those programs, especially the ones that are in their folders.  Uninstall probably will not delete them, but be safe just in case.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 5 - 6
redbird
Posted: February 16th, 2006, 1:04am Report to Moderator
Baby Member

Ray, ran the Office 97 feature that allows reinstallation to correct settings, etc.  Failed to correct the problem.  Followed your excellent advice and went for the full uninstall and reinstall.  Worked like a charm.  All programs up and working.  As you said didn't lose any work product.

Thank you very very much.  As always you have come through for us.

Sincerely, redbird.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 6 - 6
 Pages: 1
Recommend Print

Locked Board Board Index    Other Programs  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Forum Rules