Windows XP System Restore not working August 24th, 2019, 10:30am
Home Calendar Search Register Login
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Computer Q&A Board    Answers    Windows  ›  Windows XP System Restore not working

Pages: 1
Recommend Print
  Author    Windows XP System Restore not working
pakkap2
Posted: January 22nd, 2006, 11:01pm Report to Moderator
Guest User

My "System Restore" isn't working. I'm running Windows XP Home Edition w/SP 2..Anybody got any suggestions?
A New Bible Built with Modern Technology

New Testament - Breakthrough Version

www.breakthroughversion.com

The Breakthrough Version achieves a much higher level of accuracy. It is:

• more literal
  • more precise
  • more contemporary
  • more correct
  • more consistent

This Bible even translates hundreds of forgotten Greek words that no other Bible does.

It is an essential tool for Bible teachers and students, yet it is easy to read, even for newbies.

Posted: January 23rd, 2006, 2:31am Report to Moderator
Guest User

Have you been into System Properties/System Restore and cleared the box that says " Turn off System Restore "
e-mail Reply: 1 - 12
pakkap2
Posted: January 23rd, 2006, 2:55am Report to Moderator
Guest User

No I haven't. Why would I turn it off if I wanted it to work? Please explain. pakkap2
e-mail Reply: 2 - 12
pakkap2
Posted: January 23rd, 2006, 3:00am Report to Moderator
Guest User

I'm sorry. I do have it cleared. What's next? pakkap2
e-mail Reply: 3 - 12
Posted: January 23rd, 2006, 3:02am Report to Moderator
Guest User

I didn't say that you did, I asked if you had been in there to check whether it was turned off or not.

It also helps if you can give a bit more detail about things like was it working before or has it only recently stopped.
e-mail Reply: 4 - 12
Posted: January 23rd, 2006, 3:10am Report to Moderator
Guest User

Go to Start/Run, type in Services.msc, OK, when that opens scroll down the list to System Restore Service and make sure it it set to Automatic.

If still no joy have a look at http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/plan/faqsrwxp.mspx maybe you will find some help in the trouble shooting section of that page.
e-mail Reply: 5 - 12
pakkap2
Posted: January 23rd, 2006, 3:15am Report to Moderator
Guest User

Thanks Jogor. My System Restore is set to  "Automatic." Thanks for your help. pakkap2
e-mail Reply: 6 - 12
Posted: January 23rd, 2006, 3:26am Report to Moderator
Guest User

Please post back if you find the solution on the page I suggested.

You could also try http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm line 278 left hand side.
e-mail Reply: 7 - 12
Posted: January 27th, 2006, 8:31am Report to Moderator
Guest User

I have one further comment on that particular issue ; maybe its'inappropriate , (who knows?) ; in fact , there might be a lot of reqsons why system restore won't work ; jogor pointed immediately one of them , of course if the service is cleared , it won't work ... But even if it is set on automatic , there are many other situations where system restore does not work , in particular some antiviruses may affect the way system restore works ; rememeber that if you scan your system for viruses and find one or several , throwing them away through RECYCLER just will let them be IMMEDIATELY stored in one RP !!!! that's a silly functionnality of Windows, and maybe there is no way to turn around this but one has to know : system restore will first restore destroyed viruses, as long as you decide to move the infected files to the Recycle bin  ; therefore some antiviruses , knowing the situation block system restore during the scan until complete eradication . .Of course there might also be situations where the PC is deeply infected and in that case also , no restore points will be created and simply it won't work ! Usually if you are not in the first case nor the one described by Jogor , it's a sign that you have got a major problem in your OS . at least you shoud try to see what happens with the registry ;a coorupted registry may be cause of Syatem restore unavailable. OLIVIER GEBUHRER    
e-mail Reply: 8 - 12
pologuy
Posted: January 27th, 2006, 12:50pm Report to Moderator
Guest User

Tchapaiev is perfectly correct - System Restore (SR) is often disabled by anti-virus software. This is a GOOD thing as otherwise SR will only do its job and restore the virus back onto your system! In any event, before running an anti-virus clean on your system, you must first DISABLE SR (through System in the Control Panel), clean the system and - once you are sure that the system is clean - ENABLE SR again. In addition, some third party system restorers - e.g. Norton's 'GoBack' - will override SR so you must decide which is the best restore tool to use. If you are not a 'power user', I suggest that you stick with XP SR - basic but easier to use! Finally, I also agree with Tchapaiev that it seems likely that you have a corrupt registry. There are a number of very good registry cleaners around - both Freeware and Shareware. Run your system through one of these and you will be pleasantly surprised how much faster and more stable your system is!
e-mail Reply: 9 - 12
Posted: January 27th, 2006, 4:51pm Report to Moderator
Guest User

Ray's product REGVAC is as good as you will get in a Registry Cleaner. I've used it for years.
e-mail Reply: 10 - 12
Posted: January 29th, 2006, 9:50pm Report to Moderator
Guest User

here is some excellent troubleshooting procedures for system restore.
http://forum.worldstart.com/showthread.php?t=78891&referrerid=18020
e-mail Reply: 11 - 12
Posted: January 30th, 2006, 1:37am Report to Moderator
Guest User

That page looks very much like it has been copied from http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp.htm the site that I suggested a week ago. Excellent site actually
e-mail Reply: 12 - 12
 Pages: 1
Recommend Print

Locked Board Board Index    Windows  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Forum Rules