Never assume or give up! July 22nd, 2018, 6:45am
Home Calendar Search Register Login
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Computer Q&A Board    Your Input    Reader's Tips  ›  Never assume or give up!

Pages: 1
Recommend Print
  Author    Never assume or give up!
beagle
Posted: June 14th, 2010, 1:57pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member

I had a very scary computer experience a couple of days ago.  I was just about to start backing
everything up on some CD Rom discs.  Suddenly I got a "computer not responding" message.  I tried Ctrl + Alt + Delete and attempted to end the process.  No luck.  It continued to hang.  This went on for 1/2 an hour.  I could hear the CD Rom whirring inside and of course could not remove the disc.  I decided to log off but it would not log off.  

I decided to shut the power off using the power button.  I know this is not the best thing to do but I figured after almost an hour of waiting I had to try something.  Big mistake!  The screen went black but remained on.  It would not shut down.  I had no idea what to do.  

I left the computer for the evening figuring I'd lost all of my files and thought about where I could take it.   I thought for sure the computer was dead!  After perhaps 4 hours I returned only to see no change.

I tried one last thing.  I unplugged the wretched thing from the back.  Why this would make a difference I had no idea.  BUT..... it did.  After unplugging the machine and pressing the power button the screen came on with a host of options.  "Start windows normally"...."start in safe mode" etc. etc.

I clicked "start windows normally".  Unbelievably, the computer booted back up and everything
is running perfectly.  I immediately backed up all of my files.

It just goes to show you.  At 7:00PM everything looked hopeless.  I thought the computer was dead and that I'd lost everything.  And I mean everything!  At 11:00PM it was like I never had a problem.

I've no idea why the computer suddenly booted back up after unplugging it and pressing the power button.  And I'm not suggesting that anyone try what I'd done.  To this day I've no idea why unplugging the computer from the back made
any difference but for some reason it did.

Just thought I'd share this with you all.

My tip:  Never give up.
Logged Offline
A New Bible Built with Modern Technology

New Testament - Breakthrough Version

www.breakthroughversion.com

The Breakthrough Version achieves a much higher level of accuracy. It is:

• more literal
  • more precise
  • more contemporary
  • more correct
  • more consistent

This Bible even translates hundreds of forgotten Greek words that no other Bible does.

It is an essential tool for Bible teachers and students, yet it is easy to read, even for newbies.

Ray
Posted: June 15th, 2010, 8:41am Report to Moderator
Administrator Group

Your computer is probably set up to Sleep when you press the Power button.  This makes it a hassle when you really want to shut the computer down and you have no other way to do so (as was your situation).
   What you should have tried before unplugging it was to hold the Power button in for five to ten seconds.  That will shut the computer off.
   Sleep mode on your computer requires electricity and so when you unplugged it, it could not Sleep and so it shut down.
   Holding the Power button in is preferable to unplugging it.  Of course, that should only be used when Windows will not shut down (as was your situation).
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 1 - 2
beagle
Posted: June 15th, 2010, 9:02am Report to Moderator
Baby Member

What you say is possible Ray.  Thanks for the input.  It's quite possible I did not hold the power
button down long enough.  Although I must say that I had to shut the computer off using
the power button earlier that day because it would not shut down normally and I was able to shut it down okay.
I'll keep in mind [for next time] to hold the button longer.  Interesting, the evening I was talking about in my post was when I showed my wife what had been happening.  That's when I decided to unplug the thing.

I guess my thinking was that in a couple of hours the battery would be spent and there would be
zero power.  But after unplugging it, it was my wife who pressed the power button and had held it for several seconds.  After releasing it she waited about a minute and then powered it up again.  
It's been working great ever since.  

Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 2 - 2
 Pages: 1
Recommend Print

Locked Board Board Index    Reader's Tips  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Forum Rules