WinRescue7 crashes with "out of memory" notice November 18th, 2017, 9:46pm
Home Calendar Search Register Login
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Computer Q&A Board    Your Input    Questions  ›  WinRescue7 crashes with "out of memory" notice

Pages: 1
Recommend Print
  Author    WinRescue7 crashes with "out of memory" notice
2Shlow
Posted: January 17th, 2014, 8:50am Report to Moderator
Baby Member

In trying to backup my system drive C: with 31GB of files (total including the paging and hibernation files  amounting to a total more than 5GB, but they were excluded from the backup) I got this "out of memory" notice from the program, though the system reports that it is using less than half of the total memory).  What is really odd is that 34GB of backup files were generated before the crash about half way through the backup according to the progress bar, each 1GB, so that the backup would be lots bigger than the original, though the program is set for high slow compression.

Is backing up such a system just beyond WinRescue7?
Logged Offline
It is HERE
A Revolutionary New Bible Version

Gain a Better Understanding of the Bible

No Bible Training Needed
Just Read and Find out God's Message to You

New Testament - Breakthrough Version
Go to - www.breakthroughversion.com - for more information.
Free Weekly Newsletter
Learn Tips about your Computer
from a Trusted, Knowledgeable Source

Subscribe to Ray's Computer Tips by entering your email address below and clicking on the button. We have a No Spam policy

This Forum brought to you by

Great Software
Forever Free Updates
Ray
Posted: January 19th, 2014, 8:55am Report to Moderator
Administrator Group

Yes, it might be beyond WinRescue 7.  
   I don't know how the backup could be bigger than what is being backed up.  If the files it is backing up are already compressed the backup may be just as big as what is being backed up but I don't know how it could be bigger.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 1 - 8
2Shlow
Posted: January 19th, 2014, 10:04am Report to Moderator
Baby Member

Of course the main problem is not the size, but that the program simply collapses, and it cannot even exit by itself, without the help of the Task Manager to kill it.

I found that the Windows 7 built in backup was able to do a complete backup of the C: drive, and the resulting file was only 23GB, which is lots less than 34GB for half the disk.

I can keep on using WinRescue 7 for daily backups of the heart of the system, but I was disappointed that it could not do the whole system disk.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 2 - 8
Ray
Posted: January 20th, 2014, 7:23pm Report to Moderator
Administrator Group

If you have to use the Task Manager to "kill it", then WinRescue did not "collapse".  If Windows tells you that WinRescue has stopped responding, you should ignore it because WinRescue is busy working.
   I am sorry that you are disappointed.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 3 - 8
2Shlow
Posted: January 21st, 2014, 3:15am Report to Moderator
Baby Member

It cannot be "busy", as  it stops working and says out of memeory.  And when I ask it to close, it just tells me it is out of memory again, whether I click on the exit button in the lower left or the X button at the top right.  And no matter how long I wait for it, it does not generate any further output files.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 4 - 8
Ray
Posted: January 21st, 2014, 2:28pm Report to Moderator
Administrator Group

That sounds like there is not enough memory for WinRescue to run in.  Something else on your computer may be using up all of the memory.  Some software take up huge amounts of memory or they use up memory and then do not free up the memory when they stop using it, so that the longer you use them the less memory there is.  Restarting your computer will free up the memory.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 5 - 8
2Shlow
Posted: January 21st, 2014, 3:48pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member

The memory meter on the system said 30% memory unused, and I tried running immediately after reboot, and it made no difference, despite that we were at 50% unused immediately after reboot.  I have the maximal 4GB installed on my Win7 32bit system.  If the memory were used up, I should have gotten a notice to increase virtual memory, no?

Should I try a reboot in safe mode to see if WinRescue7 can do it with essentially all memory free?
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 6 - 8
Ray
Posted: January 22nd, 2014, 12:37pm Report to Moderator
Administrator Group

You are right, you should have gotten a notice to increase virtual memory.
   I don't know what the problem is.
   But I definitely would not recommend that you make backups that big.  I am sure that is contributing to the problem.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 7 - 8
2Shlow
Posted: January 22nd, 2014, 12:47pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member

OK.  I will continue using WinRescue7 for the daily backups of the heart of the system, just in case I need to roll back a day, and use the built-in Win7 backup for the whole C: drive weekly.

For years I ordinarily do a whole system backup every Friday morning with copies to both an internal drive and two external drives.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 8 - 8
 Pages: 1
Recommend Print

Locked Board Board Index    Questions  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Forum Rules