persistant mystery? November 22nd, 2017, 9:11am
Home Calendar Search Register Login
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Computer Q&A Board    Your Input    Questions  ›  persistant mystery?

Pages: 1
Recommend Print
  Author    persistant mystery?
gardnerwilson57
Posted: May 30th, 2013, 6:26am Report to Moderator
Baby Member

for some time now i have had a funny thing that keeps happening. I find that files in my operating system and photo files and certain others keep getting the name changed without me doing anything. I have reformatted,reinstalled the os and even done a thorough search and taken a lot of time renaming these files to what they are supposed to be and i have renamed thousands of files so far and yet i keep finding them altered. for example one file tonight i found is as follows:
.config.txt.dcm  
this file really should be...  config.txt   without a dot at the beginning and the ".dcm" part removed.
im perplexed because i have used such antivirus detectors as "avast, kaspersky,and McAffi" and they find no virus threats. im really at my wits end.
can anybody shed some light as to why this is happening.
I notice the HDD light blinking when im not even using the computer and this tells me that the files are in the process of being copied with the new type of title .
thanks in advance for any suggestions you might have out there.........GW
Logged Offline
It is HERE
A Revolutionary New Bible Version

Gain a Better Understanding of the Bible

No Bible Training Needed
Just Read and Find out God's Message to You

New Testament - Breakthrough Version
Go to - www.breakthroughversion.com - for more information.
Free Weekly Newsletter
Learn Tips about your Computer
from a Trusted, Knowledgeable Source

Subscribe to Ray's Computer Tips by entering your email address below and clicking on the button. We have a No Spam policy

This Forum brought to you by

Great Software
Forever Free Updates
Ray
Posted: May 31st, 2013, 4:54am Report to Moderator
Administrator Group

If you do a search for .dcm online, you will find information about this.
   It seems that those files are not the original files.  They are information files about the original files that Western Digital's backup program is making to keep track of when those files change and what changes are made to them.  The original files are located somewhere else.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 1 - 2
gardnerwilson57
Posted: May 31st, 2013, 3:08pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member

Hey thanks rey, would this apply to files renamed for example : " Background@2009-10T05;34;40.jpg"?
notice that the @ and a date hs been incerted into the title of the jpeg file. It origionally was " Background.jpeg". this was the first type of change i started to notice and it only seems to effect pictue files and contact files. Zip files thankfully have not been effected yet. and i have no backup programs using western digital at present. thanks for the good help you provided......gw
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 2 - 2
 Pages: 1
Recommend Print

Locked Board Board Index    Questions  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Forum Rules