Reloading XP Pro over Win 7 Operating System November 22nd, 2017, 9:18am
Home Calendar Search Register Login
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Computer Q&A Board    Your Input    Questions  ›  Reloading XP Pro over Win 7 Operating System

Pages: 1
Recommend Print
  Author    Reloading XP Pro over Win 7 Operating System
pjnewman
Posted: February 24th, 2013, 5:41am Report to Moderator
Baby Member

I purchased a used Dell D600 Laptop, which originally had been loaded with XP Professional.  At some point Windows 7 has been installed.  Since I have had it, the WiFi adapter hasn't work correctly.  I have gone round-n-round with it, and have succeeded in making it work, but not with out consequences.  (If I use the WiFi, then the computer will not shut down properly. It will re-start itself.  I must do a hard shut down, by holding the "on" button in until it shuts down.  Of course, when I start up, it then starts in safe mode).  I have uploaded, a new driver for the adapter, but in doing so discovered, apparently there is not a driver for this adapter that is compatible with Windows 7.  I tried switching the WiFi adapter to another compatible one - uploading the appropriate driver, and the computer won't start at all.  I'm thinking I should just reinstall XP Professional, and get rid of 7.  I have a reinstallation disc, and the original COA key.  Should I reformat the drive and then install XP, or simply install XP "over" Windows 7?  There's nothing on this computer to save.  Or do you have any other suggestions?  Thank you!
Logged Offline
It is HERE
A Revolutionary New Bible Version

Gain a Better Understanding of the Bible

No Bible Training Needed
Just Read and Find out God's Message to You

New Testament - Breakthrough Version
Go to - www.breakthroughversion.com - for more information.
Free Weekly Newsletter
Learn Tips about your Computer
from a Trusted, Knowledgeable Source

Subscribe to Ray's Computer Tips by entering your email address below and clicking on the button. We have a No Spam policy

This Forum brought to you by

Great Software
Forever Free Updates
Ray
Posted: February 28th, 2013, 3:24am Report to Moderator
Administrator Group

If you have discs that put the computer back the way it was when you bought it, I would use them.  Second choice would be to reformat and then install WinXP (there are certain concerns with doing this, like WinXP has to be a version that can do new installs and not just upgrades).  Last choice, install WinXP over Win7.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 1 - 2
Willk
Posted: March 2nd, 2013, 1:57am Report to Moderator
Baby Member

The best adapter that is really made for Win 7 is the Hawking wireless-G Dish Adapter. Part number is HWU9DD. It really works and gives you a strong signal. Don't give up on Win 7, as XP is being phased out.  Willk.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 2 - 2
 Pages: 1
Recommend Print

Locked Board Board Index    Questions  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Forum Rules