How to Open .msi Files November 18th, 2017, 9:44pm
Home Calendar Search Register Login
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Computer Q&A Board    Your Input    Questions  ›  How to Open .msi Files

Pages: 1
Recommend Print
  Author    How to Open .msi Files
pjnewman
Posted: January 15th, 2013, 7:16pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member

I am running XP SP-3, 32 Bit.  I have a small program with the .msi file extension that I can't open.  Any suggestions?

I have used RegVac to check and clean my registry.  Any query posted through Goggle yields sellers of registry clean-up programs.

I did find a potential solution at http://www . giveawayoftheday.com/forums/topic/1718. At the end of that string is code, with instructions to copy & paste into a notepad file, save as " setupmsi.reg "  Once that is done, double click and save to your registry.

I'm not sure how to do that, and not confident enough to start messing with my registry.

Any suggestions?
Logged Offline
It is HERE
A Revolutionary New Bible Version

Gain a Better Understanding of the Bible

No Bible Training Needed
Just Read and Find out God's Message to You

New Testament - Breakthrough Version
Go to - www.breakthroughversion.com - for more information.
Free Weekly Newsletter
Learn Tips about your Computer
from a Trusted, Knowledgeable Source

Subscribe to Ray's Computer Tips by entering your email address below and clicking on the button. We have a No Spam policy

This Forum brought to you by

Great Software
Forever Free Updates
Ray
Posted: January 16th, 2013, 5:56am Report to Moderator
Administrator Group

The .msi file is a Microsoft installation file.  When you double click on the .msi file, the Microsoft installer program should start and run the .msi file.  If your associations in Windows are messed up or missing for the .msi extention, double clicking on the file will not start the Microsoft Installer.
   I assume what the setupmsi.reg file does is write the association for .msi into your registry.  Here are more detailed instructions on making the setupmsi.reg file work.

• Select (highlight) the setupmsi.reg text on that webpage.  Right click on the selection and select Copy from the popup menu.
  • Open notepad.  If it is not blank, go to the File menu and select New.
  • Go to the Edit menu and select Paste.  This should paste the setupmsi.reg text into your Notepad file.
  • Go to the File menu and select Save As...  The Save As box will open.  In the Save as type dropdown box, select All Files.  Find a place that you will easily be able to find later and go there.  In the File name box, type "setupmsi.reg" and click on the Save button.  Your setupmsi.reg file is created.  You can close Notepad.
  • Now right click on the Start button on your Windows desktop and select Explore from the popup menu.  This will start Windows Explorer which is much like the Save As box you were at before.  Find the setupmsi.reg file you created.  If it has a .txt ending, rename it so that the ending is .reg
  • Double click on the setupmsi.reg file.  That should enter the association information for .msi into the registry.  Now you should be able to double click on the .msi file and it work.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 1 - 2
pjnewman
Posted: January 16th, 2013, 12:53pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member

Thank you!  That was step-by-step, and I appreciate that!  It's working now!!!
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 2 - 2
 Pages: 1
Recommend Print

Locked Board Board Index    Questions  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Forum Rules