Layout numeric keys November 22nd, 2017, 9:10am
Home Calendar Search Register Login
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Computer Q&A Board    Your Input    Questions  ›  Layout numeric keys

Pages: 1
Recommend Print
  Author    Layout numeric keys
frans_klaus
Posted: January 13th, 2013, 11:00am Report to Moderator
Baby Member

For years I have been wondering why the layout of the numeric keypad on my computer and calculator differ from that on my phone (I frequently call people inadvertently because I type f.i. an 8 instead of a 2; I switch bottom and top row).
I know that the keypad on computer and calculator are similar to old calculating machines but I would like to know what blundering idiot got the idea to inverse the keypad on phones.
Logged Offline
It is HERE
A Revolutionary New Bible Version

Gain a Better Understanding of the Bible

No Bible Training Needed
Just Read and Find out God's Message to You

New Testament - Breakthrough Version
Go to - www.breakthroughversion.com - for more information.
Free Weekly Newsletter
Learn Tips about your Computer
from a Trusted, Knowledgeable Source

Subscribe to Ray's Computer Tips by entering your email address below and clicking on the button. We have a No Spam policy

This Forum brought to you by

Great Software
Forever Free Updates
Ray
Posted: January 13th, 2013, 12:49pm Report to Moderator
Administrator Group

Or is the question, what blundering idiot got the idea to put 1 at the bottom of the calculator pad?  1 should be at the top.
   There are several theories as to why phones and calculators are different.  Here is a webpage about that (http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/question641.htm).
   I think the best answer is that it is logical to put the 1 on top.  Telephone makers decided to right a wrong created by calculator makers.
   Now when new keypad devices are made (like ATM machines), the 1 is on top.  It just makes sense that that is where 1 should be.  
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 1 - 3
frans_klaus
Posted: January 13th, 2013, 7:08pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member

Sorry, but I see no logic whatsoever in putting the 1 at the top. If I look at a keypad I look from the bottom, seeing first the 0, then the 1 and then the rest. To me that is logic.
For quite some time only adding machines had a keypad. Older ones lots of rows with the ones at the bottom and the nines at the top, the hand coming always from below. I've know people using only the 1 - 3 buttons, pushing the 3 3 times for a 9 (and they were faster than everyone else!) so they could leave their wrist on the table!
One thing is sure: when the first pushbutton phones came into existence the adding machine had been around quite some time. So the most logical explanation in the site you mentioned is speed, the same stupid reasen that got us the qwerty-layout.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 2 - 3
Ray
Posted: January 14th, 2013, 6:48am Report to Moderator
Administrator Group

Yes, calculators had been around for quite awhile when the push button phone was invented but most people did not have calculators and the early calculators did not have the standard keypad (I remember those days).  Calculators were big, bulky manual devices (manual as in no electronic circuits inside, just a bunch of gears) that only businesses could afford.
   Before the push button phone existed all phones were rotary.  On the rotary phone the 1 was on the top.  It would have confused a lot of people to put the 1 on the bottom.
   Speed was not as big of an issue back then as it is today because push button phones were only used for dialing a phone number.  It would be several decades before phones would be used to calculate and text.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 3 - 3
 Pages: 1
Recommend Print

Locked Board Board Index    Questions  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Forum Rules