Reinstalling Windows 7... July 17th, 2018, 5:43am
Home Calendar Search Register Login
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Computer Q&A Board    Your Input    Questions  ›  Reinstalling Windows 7...

Pages: 1
Recommend Print
  Author    Reinstalling Windows 7...
rafikiphoto
Posted: October 15th, 2010, 2:24am Report to Moderator
Guest User

I run W7 Home Premium 32bit. The C: drive on my machine is kept exclusively for the OS. All programmes and their data are stored on the D: drive (partition).

I need to reinstall the OS and would like to format C: and get the job done. I would like to use WinRescue7 to backup the existing registry and restore it after the OS reinstall so that I won't have to reinstall all my many programmes on D:

I am a bit nervous about doing this and I have searched here but can't find step-by-step instructions for this chore. Can someone point me to instructions or give me help please?
A New Bible Built with Modern Technology

New Testament - Breakthrough Version

www.breakthroughversion.com

The Breakthrough Version achieves a much higher level of accuracy. It is:

• more literal
  • more precise
  • more contemporary
  • more correct
  • more consistent

This Bible even translates hundreds of forgotten Greek words that no other Bible does.

It is an essential tool for Bible teachers and students, yet it is easy to read, even for newbies.

Ray
Posted: October 15th, 2010, 8:16am Report to Moderator
Administrator Group

That is pretty simple in WinRescue.  Just make a backup.  It will backup the registry by default.  You might want to look at the settings of the backup to make sure it will put the backup on D (it should put it in a subdirectory of WinRescue).  Then once you have reinstalled Windows, run WinRescue, go to the Crash Fixer tab, find the backup and restore the registry.
   I see one problem and that is that when you install new programs, they sometimes put files and drivers in the Windows directory, so you really need to backup the Windows directory too.  But if you are going to restore all of the files that were in Windows, why would you reformat?
   I guess you could just back up the registry, format, reinstall Windows, and then restore the registry.  Then see what works and what doesn't, and be ready to reinstall the programs that do not work.
   If you have damaged Windows and so what to reinstall, you can just reinstall Windows without formatting and it should keep the old registry in tact.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 1 - 3
rafikiphoto
Posted: October 15th, 2010, 8:32am Report to Moderator
Guest User

Quoted from Ray
  If you have damaged Windows and so what to reinstall, you can just reinstall Windows without formatting and it should keep the old registry in tact.

Thanks Ray. OIC, yes, Windows is somehow damaged: Windows Installer won't work and I've tried a myriad of 'solutions' suggested on the web to no avail. Other little niggly things suggest that all is not perfectly well so a reinstall is due I think. If I just reinstall it will leave the registry intact will it? That would mean all the programmes on D: should continue to work after the reinstallation then. Would you reinstall from within Windows or from a reboot?
e-mail Reply: 2 - 3
Ray
Posted: October 15th, 2010, 8:41am Report to Moderator
Administrator Group

If your problem involves the registry, then backing up the bad registry and then later restoring that bad registry in a reformatted and reinstalled Windows will not help.
   First I would try just reinstalling Windows without reformatting.  It is not too hard to do.  It would leave all of your programs in place.
   If that does not work, I think that your only option is to reformat, reinstall Windows, and reinstall all of your programs.
   Or you could put up with a Windows Installer that does not work.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 3 - 3
 Pages: 1
Recommend Print

Locked Board Board Index    Questions  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Forum Rules