WinRescueXP not working January 22nd, 2018, 6:36pm
Home Calendar Search Register Login
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Computer Q&A Board    Your Input    Questions  ›  WinRescueXP not working

Pages: « 1, 2, 3 » : All
Recommend Print
  Author    WinRescueXP not working
Willk
Posted: November 10th, 2009, 8:10pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member

Guess what --- I just got the same error as you did. Could not write to the directory. Disabled AVG Resident component and BINGO it works. It also runs 100% faster with the component disabled.  One thing to do is go into the Program Files Winrescue directory and when you open the Backup that failed you will see it is only part of the registry backup.  Delete this so you do not accidentally restore this one.  Keep me posted if you get anywhere with AVG.  Willk.....  
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 15 - 42
It is HERE
A Revolutionary New Bible Version

Gain a Better Understanding of the Bible

No Bible Training Needed
Just Read and Find out God's Message to You

New Testament - Breakthrough Version
Go to - www.breakthroughversion.com - for more information.
Free Weekly Newsletter
Learn Tips about your Computer
from a Trusted, Knowledgeable Source

Subscribe to Ray's Computer Tips by entering your email address below and clicking on the button. We have a No Spam policy

This Forum brought to you by

Great Software
Forever Free Updates
Lofty
Posted: November 10th, 2009, 8:39pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member

Yes, I will certainly post when I hear from AVG, but they do apologise in their auto response for longer than usual delays in replying.

I did try disabling Resident Shield, with the broadband connection off, but still no success with WinRescueXP!

Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 16 - 42
Willk
Posted: November 10th, 2009, 9:28pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member

Unbelievable! You could try Disabling the Identity Protection module. That guy looks at the registry and processes you are running. At least we know that the Computers are OK since we both are getting the same error. I will keep you advised if I make any progress with AVG. Maybe we should let RAY know about what is going on with AVG?
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 17 - 42
Lofty
Posted: November 10th, 2009, 10:34pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member

Thanks for you idea of disabling Identity Protection Willk! I did this and disabled Resident Shield, with broadband shut down, and found that I could carry out both RegPack and Registry backup with no error messages. I have since restored both of these components of AVG Internet Security, but am relieved that there is a way around the problem even though it is somewhat cumbersome.

I expect that Ray reads all of the postings, but just posts himself if there is something posters have overlooked.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 18 - 42
Ray
Posted: November 11th, 2009, 3:20pm Report to Moderator
Administrator Group

Yes.  Thank you for your help.
RegVac and WinRescue use similar processes when backing up the registry, so I would think that both would react the same way to this.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 19 - 42
Lofty
Posted: November 11th, 2009, 4:15pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member

AVG repleid today asking which version of WinRescueXP I was using. I told them that it was the latest one: 1.08.44.

They also asked me to disable, one at a time, Resident Shield, Web Shield, Link Scanner and Firewall. Although it was possible to back up the registry with WinRescueXP with nothing disabled, Regpack threw up errors with have been screen printed and sent to AVG. Their diagnostic software has also collected AVG configuration and log details.

I will post again when there is any progress to report.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 20 - 42
Willk
Posted: November 11th, 2009, 5:38pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member

If I disable Resident Shield component and the Identity component it seems to be working.  I don't use the firewall, so that eliminates that, since I was getting the same error as you. Willk
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 21 - 42
Lofty
Posted: November 11th, 2009, 6:30pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member

Yes I found the same as you Willk, last night.

I have now passed all of today's tests on to AVG and have told them about what you have just posted in case it helps them to get their software to work with WinRescueXP.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 22 - 42
Lofty
Posted: November 12th, 2009, 7:32am Report to Moderator
Baby Member

Dear Sir/Madam,

thank you for your e-mail.

From the previous e-mail we have found out that you are using a registry backup software. Please be informed that after disabling some main AVG components, did not resolve the issue. According to the screenshot we have found out that this issue is not caused by AVG please contact your software vendor for more troubleshooting tips. Feel free to revert to us again if there is any issue regarding AVG.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Best regards,

The message above is one reived from AVG overnight today (12/11/09). It ignores the reply I sent to them saying that, when AVG Internet Security in uninstalled, WinRescueXP works normally. I feel very let down by their Technical Support, especially since I spent most of last Saturday afternoon carrying out tests they had asked for. I have responded to their email, but do not hold out much hope of further help from them.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 23 - 42
Lofty
Posted: November 12th, 2009, 1:00pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member

I have just updated AVG Internet Security to today's latest release of 9.0.707, but RegPack in WinRescueXP still unable to function according to the onscreen error message.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 24 - 42
Willk
Posted: November 12th, 2009, 9:38pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member

I had the same experience with them.  They are causing this problem with the release of the 9.0 version to accommodate Windows 7. We know it is their on line components that are causing this. We have proven it. This is a shame because now they have taken (2) pieces of excellent software WinrescueXP and Regvac, that have worked for years and we now have to do this crazy work-around every time we run them. This is not right. For all we know they may be affecting our system restore points when we take them.    
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 25 - 42
Lofty
Posted: November 12th, 2009, 10:10pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member

Thanks for confirming what I suspected Willk! I cannot believe that you and I are the only two people affected adversely by the conflict between AVG Internet Security and the long trusted WinRescue and RegVac.

In spite of the address in the Czech Republic I believe that AVG might have a headquarters in the US, so it may be worthwhile contacting them as their current stance reflects badly on their software.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 26 - 42
Willk
Posted: November 13th, 2009, 2:39am Report to Moderator
Baby Member

Here is an interesting scenario. I have XP on another computer upstairs in my house. I have the same software with WinrescueXP and Regvac and It never fails. However this machine is a CORE DUO with 3GIG memory while my other machine is a Pentium4 with only 2GIG memory. It may be that this problem is resource related. AVG on the slower machine may be sucking too much resources causing the Registry backup to fail. When you shut down the on-line scanners it frees up resources and WinrescueXP and REGVAC work. Just a thought.    
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 27 - 42
Lofty
Posted: November 13th, 2009, 7:08am Report to Moderator
Baby Member

Thanks for your further posting Willk! I just have the one PC, a DELL C521 Dimension with 1 GB memory. I also have MemOptimizer 3 which automatically clears the memory.

My PC is under 3 years old, but when I replace it with presumably one running Windows 7, I will have looked carefully at security software other than AVG.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 28 - 42
Willk
Posted: November 13th, 2009, 5:51pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member

My AVG runs out this January. The Webroot suite or Kaspirsky suite is the way I am leaning. Every time AVG makes a major version change something fails to work. When they switched from 8.0 to 8.5 I had to take spybot off my system because of memory conflicts. Just like now, they told me it was not AVG causing it. One other thing is that many users have failed to switch over from 8.5 to 9.0 of AVG. We may hear more people complain on the forum after they make it mandatory for users to move from 8.5 to 9.0.  
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 29 - 42
 Pages: « 1, 2, 3 » : All
Recommend Print

Locked Board Board Index    Questions  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Forum Rules