Windows Installer Service failure September 26th, 2018, 12:27am
Home Calendar Search Register Login
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Computer Q&A Board    Your Input    Questions  ›  Windows Installer Service failure

Pages: 1
Recommend Print
  Author    Windows Installer Service failure
peterlloyd
Posted: September 10th, 2009, 9:38pm Report to Moderator
Guest User

When I attempted to use add/remove programs in Windows XP SP3  to uninstall some recently installed Microsoft programs I got the following error message from the Windows Installer:
"The Windows installer service could not be accessed. This can occur if the Windows installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance."I am new to this forum and found it as a result of the above problem. I downloaded and tried " Add Remove Pro" and received the same error message. I also used " Add Remove Pro" on my laptop computer which is also running XP SP3 and successfully uninstalled several programs. The installation executable was from the same download on both machines. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am disinclined to re-install XP!
Thank you.
Peter
A New Bible Built with Modern Technology

New Testament - Breakthrough Version

www.breakthroughversion.com

The Breakthrough Version achieves a much higher level of accuracy. It is:

• more literal
  • more precise
  • more contemporary
  • more correct
  • more consistent

This Bible even translates hundreds of forgotten Greek words that no other Bible does.

It is an essential tool for Bible teachers and students, yet it is easy to read, even for newbies.

Ray
Posted: September 11th, 2009, 3:09pm Report to Moderator
Administrator Group

I do not know what would cause that.  It obviously is something on your computer.
   I would suggest doing a search on the internet (Google) for the error message.  Put it in quotes, something like this, "The Windows installer service could not be accessed".  Here are a Microsoft page that I found from a Google search - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315353
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 1 - 2
peterlloyd
Posted: September 12th, 2009, 9:37am Report to Moderator
Guest User

Ray,

Thanks, I had found that link also, followed it and eventually found the the key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, SYSTEM, CurrentControlSet, Services,  MSIServer

was totally missing from the registry. I then imported the key from another XP SP3 machine and rebooted. When running either  Add Remove Pro or the windows capability I received "Setup.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close.  We are sorry for the inconvenience............!!!
I am working on it but any ideas?
Thanks
Peter
e-mail Reply: 2 - 2
 Pages: 1
Recommend Print

Locked Board Board Index    Questions  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Forum Rules