Windows Update October 15th, 2018, 2:49am
Home Calendar Search Register Login
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Computer Q&A Board    Your Input    Questions  ›  Windows Update

Pages: 1
Recommend Print
  Author    Windows Update
onclejean
Posted: August 16th, 2009, 3:42am Report to Moderator
Baby Member

I often find that after running Windows update my system has problems that require troubleshooting. Normally I check the purpose of the update and if it does not seem relevant to my purpose I do not accept the download(s). At the beginning of this week I was away and my son helpfully installed all the August downloads. This left my computer shut down. When I returned and started the work station I had major problems including search crashing after the first few items and volume shadow copy not working so that I could not make backups. i removed all the August updates and the system was OK.
Of course the updates were represented by Windows and I carefully examined their purpose. All were in the category " A malicious intruder might do.etc. and take control of your system".
Assuming one has a good firewall, anti-virus and spy-ware protection, my question is would one not be better off not updating at all unless there is strong external evidence, like from a technical  news letter such as yours , that the update is needed to improve performance?[face=Verdana][/face]
Logged Offline
A New Bible Built with Modern Technology

New Testament - Breakthrough Version

www.breakthroughversion.com

The Breakthrough Version achieves a much higher level of accuracy. It is:

• more literal
  • more precise
  • more contemporary
  • more correct
  • more consistent

This Bible even translates hundreds of forgotten Greek words that no other Bible does.

It is an essential tool for Bible teachers and students, yet it is easy to read, even for newbies.

Ray
Posted: August 17th, 2009, 10:26am Report to Moderator
Administrator Group

I always let it update and I have never had any problems.  The updates correct bugs in Windows (some are small bugs, some are large).  All software has bugs because they are written by humans.
   It sounds to me that there is something on your computer that is incompatible with those updates.  That probably should be fixed.
   If a person has a firewall, does not open malicious email attachments, and does not go to malicious websites, he should not need the aforementioned updates, but I would rather be safe than sorry.  I have an antivirus program but the only times it has detected anything, it has been wrong.  If you know how to avoid malicious attachments and websites, you do not need an antivirus program or a spyware program.  I do not use spyware protection and have never had any problems.
   Then again, I once worked on a computer where the husband opened every attachment that he received even though he had been warned against doing so over and over again.  That computer needed all the protection it could get.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 1 - 8
onclejean
Posted: August 17th, 2009, 11:05am Report to Moderator
Baby Member

Hi Ray,
Thanks very much for your reply. Lucky for some, I guess. I am stopping automatic updates though. I don't know how you so so lucky as never to need to open email attachments: much of my correspondence comes that way. I have KAV 2009 scanning in the background and I look at the event reports once a week. Though there are few virus detections there are a lot of "phishes" and spam.
Kind regards
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 2 - 8
Ray
Posted: August 18th, 2009, 6:58am Report to Moderator
Administrator Group

I did not say that I don't open attachments.  I said that I do not open malicious attachments.  Malicious attachments are found on spam emails.  Phishing can be easily avoided by not clicking on links in spam emails.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 3 - 8
onemaddude
Posted: August 28th, 2009, 11:44pm Report to Moderator
Minimum Member

Maybe I've been lucky too but, like Ray, I've always downloaded ALL of the updates in all the versions of Windows that I've ever used without any problems.

onemaddude
Logged Offline
e-mail YIM Reply: 4 - 8
onclejean
Posted: August 29th, 2009, 5:15am Report to Moderator
Baby Member

Thanks for your message. I would say you are really exceptional because Microsoft say that all updates are not for all sytems. I would be interested to see a summary of your system and installed applications if it is not too much trouble
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 5 - 8
onemaddude
Posted: August 29th, 2009, 9:58am Report to Moderator
Minimum Member

I would LOVE to send you a summary but I'm afraid I wouldn't know how. I run WAY TOO MANY applications and am running XP with SP-3 on one partition and Windows 7 Beta on a second partition. When I booted up this morning, Windows 7 told me to wait while it installed 133 new updates. No problems! I have 3 SATA internal hard drives as well as 2 EIDE external hard drives, one of them for back-up. Counting the extra partitions on the Internal hard drives, I see 7 drives in Windows Explorer".  It got a bit confusing so I named each drive with names such as "Data" and "Work". I have Windows XP on partition "C" but all of the programs I use with XP installed on partition "D".  And I do the same thing with Windows 7. It a program crashes, it doesn't take Windows with it.

onemaddude
Logged Offline
e-mail YIM Reply: 6 - 8
alanturk
Posted: August 29th, 2009, 3:43pm Report to Moderator
Medium Member

Maybe I too have been lucky. I use XP SP3 and always accept all the Microsoft updates, without problems. I have upgraded my system several times, with extra memory, disk drives and a graphics card, none of which have caused any problems. I can't help wondering whether onclejean's problems may be related to having rejected some updates and later accepting some that really needed the earlier ones to work properly.
Logged Offline
Reply: 7 - 8
onemaddude
Posted: August 29th, 2009, 5:35pm Report to Moderator
Minimum Member

That's entirely possible. I expect just about anything from Microsoft. The thing that REALLY gripes me is that, with all of their experience creating Windows, why can't they make a version that will automatically reconnect to the links of your installed programs when Windows crashes and you have to re-install. Re-installing Windows is easy but it takes hours or days to re-install all of my programs.

onemaddude
Logged Offline
e-mail YIM Reply: 8 - 8
 Pages: 1
Recommend Print

Locked Board Board Index    Questions  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Forum Rules