Error message on DOS/First Choice Software June 24th, 2018, 6:39pm
Home Calendar Search Register Login
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Computer Q&A Board    Your Input    Questions  ›  Error message on DOS/First Choice Software

Pages: 1
Recommend Print
  Author    Error message on DOS/First Choice Software
Ken_Gerler
Posted: August 8th, 2009, 7:21pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member

I have been using PFS:First Choice since the 80's.  I now have two computers with dual Core memories and after about eight to ten month I have all of a sudden am not able to run the soft ware. I get the following scrolling message:

run-time error R6009
- not enough space for environment

Has anyone run into this problem and have a correction for the software?

Thanks,
Ken Gerler
Logged Offline
A New Bible Built with Modern Technology

New Testament - Breakthrough Version

www.breakthroughversion.com

The Breakthrough Version achieves a much higher level of accuracy. It is:

• more literal
  • more precise
  • more contemporary
  • more correct
  • more consistent

This Bible even translates hundreds of forgotten Greek words that no other Bible does.

It is an essential tool for Bible teachers and students, yet it is easy to read, even for newbies.

Ray
Posted: August 10th, 2009, 9:19am Report to Moderator
Administrator Group

It sounds like you do not have enough free space on the drive to run it.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 1 - 12
Ken_Gerler
Posted: August 10th, 2009, 3:36pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member

What is the procedure to "partition" the hard drive with a "dual core" memory?

Thanks in advance,

Ken Gerler
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 2 - 12
quinland
Posted: August 10th, 2009, 6:48pm Report to Moderator
Minimum Member

The CPU is 'dual core.' The hard drive remains the same for single-core and multiple-core CPU's. The partitioning can be done in Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Computer Management>Storage >Disk Manager.
You must have administrative rights to get to this tool.
You can re-size, create a new partition, delete a partition, etc.
It's a good idea to make a backup before doing anything with this tool.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 3 - 12
Ken_Gerler
Posted: August 10th, 2009, 10:33pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member

Quinland
Thanks for that information. I went to the location you indicated just to see how the hard disk is configured. The below is what my computer shows:
Layout - Type - File System - Status - Capacity - Free Space - % Free
Partition - Basic - FAT - Healthy (EISA Configuration) - 39 MB - 31MB - 79% Partition - Basic - FAT32 - Healthy (Unknown Partition) - 3GB - 1.01GB - 33%
Partition - Basic - NTFS - Healthy (System) - 71.4GB - 36.29 GB - 50%

Where would PFS First Choice be runing that it would not have enough space to "run" so I know where to do the "repartitioning".

Thanks again,

Ken Gerler
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 4 - 12
quinland
Posted: August 10th, 2009, 10:54pm Report to Moderator
Minimum Member

Looking at your first partition, it appears it is short of space. In addition, it  is configured as FAT 32. The limit of Fat 32 is that is can handle a file up to about 4 Mb.
I recommend the following:
1) back up all of your disks. The best way is to use an external hard drive. If you don't have one, backing up to DVD-RW is possible but slow.
2) Try moving some files (data, pictures, music, videos) to the second partition to free up space.
3) Convert the format of the first partition from Fat32 to NTSF.

Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 5 - 12
Ken_Gerler
Posted: August 11th, 2009, 6:56am Report to Moderator
Baby Member

Quinland
Thanks for that information. I went to the location you indicated just to see how the hard disk is configured. The below is what my computer shows:
Layout - Type - File System - Status - Capacity - Free Space - % Free
Partition - Basic - FAT - Healthy (EISA Configuration) - 39 MB - 31MB - 79%
Partition - Basic - FAT32 - Healthy (Unknown Partition) - 3GB - 1.01GB - 33%
Partition - Basic - NTFS - Healthy (System) - 71.4GB - 36.29 GB - 50%

Where would PFS First Choice be runing that it would not have enough space to "run" so I know where to do the "repartitioning".

Thanks again,

Ken Gerler
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 6 - 12
quinland
Posted: August 11th, 2009, 9:57pm Report to Moderator
Minimum Member

After backing up both partitions, try moving files from your first partition to your second. This will free up space on your first partition for your program to write temporary files.

What is your current operating system (OS), e.g. Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista?

I'm not familiar with PFS: First Choice. If you began using it in the 80's, is it a DOS-based program? If so, you may need to find a DOS emuiator program to run it.
If your program ran under FAT32, I suspect that this is not the problem. It is still worthwhile to change the system to NTFS.

If your program does not work after freeing up space, if you have the original installation files/disk, try re-installing the program. An old program is vulnerable to random errors appearing in the program files.

That's a lot of ideas. Try the space-freeing files moves first.

Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 7 - 12
Ken_Gerler
Posted: August 12th, 2009, 7:29am Report to Moderator
Baby Member

I requested Windows XP OS when I purchased the last two computers (one desk top, one Laptop) when I heard all the concerns about the Vista operating system.

Yes it is a DOS system that I first acquired as PFS File, PFS Write and PFS Data when I purchased an Apple /// in 1980/81.  In 1990 when I finally decided to "update" and Apple/MAC was out of my price range, I purchased a Windows/IBM clone computer and purchased the package converted to run in Windows with all three individual software packages combined into one software package - PFS First Choice.  The package loads onto the hard drive with it's own "file" (Choice) and NOT under "Program Files".  I guess if I could figure out how to load the software into the Program Files area of the computer, it would have more space to run.

I have an iomega 250GB Desktop Hard Drive which I have downloaded all of the files from the computer (desk top) I am experimenting on trying to get resolution to my problem. I am not familiar with how to save as a "partition". (See my comment below about programming.) (On my laptop, I used System Restore to go back to a three month earlier "time" and the DOS program is working OK for now.)

I don't know if I messed anything up, but on my desktop I "designated" the 3GB partition as "free space" before I read your message about naming it NTSF. Not being into even novice programming, I am not sure how to change it to the NTSF name.

Thanks again for all of your help.
Ken Gerler
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 8 - 12
Ray
Posted: August 12th, 2009, 9:40am Report to Moderator
Administrator Group

I put a line return in your message above that lists the partitions.  That way it is more obvious what is there.
   It is showing three partitions.  Each partition would be designated in Windows as a drive (for example, C drive is one partition, D drive is another, and E is the third).  You can compare the drive sizes with the partition information to see which one is which.  Open Windows Explorer (right click on Start and select Explore from the popup menu) to see the drives.
   It looks to me that the first partition is probably the one that is short on free space.  I would guess that is where PFS is located.  It has 31mb of free space which may not be enough.  It is also FAT which is an old file system.
   I would not recommend repartitioning because you may end up losing everything (unless you are ready to lose it all).
   FAT, FAT32, and NTFS are file systems.  They are the basically the format that the data is stored on the drive.  FAT32 is better than FAT and NTFS is better than FAT32.  Each one allows bigger numbers, bigger files, and bigger drives.  To change to a different file system, you must repartition and during the repartitioning you designate which file system you want (depending on which partitioning software you use).
   I do not understand the PFS thing or why you have it.  I am not familiar with what PFS is.  If it is DOS, I don't understand why you have it.  Windows XP has it's own OS built into it and does not need or use DOS.  Older Windows versions had to have DOS loaded first and then Windows was loaded in DOS, but Windows XP and Vista do not do that.  They are just loaded directly without the prior loading of DOS.
   When it comes to having enough free space, the free space usually has to be on the drive that the program is using.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 9 - 12
Ken_Gerler
Posted: August 12th, 2009, 7:51pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member

I was able to rename the 3GB partition to NTFS and gave it the label "P". I then loaded my software in that partition BUT I get the same results:

run-time error R6009
- not enough space for environment

So I suspect "something" in one of the updates to windows XP is conflicting with the DOS software.  As I said, I have been using this software since the '80s for my business. Over the last ten years I have looked at other software to replace it, but haven't found any that I like.

Ken
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 10 - 12
quinland
Posted: August 12th, 2009, 8:55pm Report to Moderator
Minimum Member

It is possible that 3Gb is not enough space for the program to run.
Looking at your drive specs, I noticed that the C: drive is FAT. Is that FAT32?
When running an old DOS-based database, I had to use a DOS emulator. I upgraded to a Windows version, and it was worth it.
You mentioned that the program had been running, but you began to receive an error message. I suspect the program files have become corrupted. Can you re-load the software?
Again, try freeing up space on your C: drive by moving data, photos, music, and videos. Udating the format to NTFS does not remove files.
I looked up PFS: First choice, and found an article that described the same problem you report.
It is: http://www.vistax64.com/vista-.....ho-use-andvista.html.
If that URL doesn't come through the board, try searching for PFS:First Choice on Google.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 11 - 12
Ken_Gerler
Posted: August 13th, 2009, 6:33am Report to Moderator
Baby Member

I only have the one hard drive on the computer in question. It came as noted before with the three partitions, the larger, 71GB labeled NTSF. I will look up the URL you suggested and also Google it.

Thanks again,
Ken
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 12 - 12
 Pages: 1
Recommend Print

Locked Board Board Index    Questions  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Forum Rules