Software for mirroring files April 24th, 2018, 4:30am
Home Calendar Search Register Login
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Computer Q&A Board    Your Input    Questions  ›  Software for mirroring files

Pages: 1
Recommend Print
  Author    Software for mirroring files
jadde
Posted: July 18th, 2009, 3:02am Report to Moderator
Guest User

Hello everybody
I am looking for the software which helps in my everyday task. Maybe anybody knows such tool.

I have a text file with lists of files which need to be mirrored (to be specific-copied to another drive for backup purposes)
There are some programs available around which allow to mirror the whole catalogs or files based on the mask (i.e. only *.doc) but it doesn't fit my needs as I  need to copy only chosen files based on my lists keeping the original structure of catalogs.
Such my list is rather big (more then 1000 files) so it is an absurd to do it one by one.
So I am looking for the software which can read the list of files with the paths from the plain text file and then make a copy of such structure.

Maybe anyone knows or uses such software as I had no luck to find it.
Till now I have created a plain batch file with the "copy" command but it has so many disadvantages I have decided to find something simpler.

Thanx for your time
A New Bible Built with Modern Technology

New Testament - Breakthrough Version

www.breakthroughversion.com

The Breakthrough Version achieves a much higher level of accuracy. It is:

• more literal
  • more precise
  • more contemporary
  • more correct
  • more consistent

This Bible even translates hundreds of forgotten Greek words that no other Bible does.

It is an essential tool for Bible teachers and students, yet it is easy to read, even for newbies.

Ray
Posted: July 18th, 2009, 11:17am Report to Moderator
Administrator Group

The term mirroring is used of entire drives and not of individual files.  What you want to do is back up files.
   Our software, WinRescue, can make backups of individual files and groups of files.  You will have to select the files the first time and then after that it will remember them and back them up with the click of a button.  For more information and a free trial of WinRescue go to http://superwin.com/rescuemenu.htm.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 1 - 6
jadde
Posted: July 18th, 2009, 4:45pm Report to Moderator
Guest User

Thanx for the answer Ray
You are right-I should call it back up instead of mirror.
Thanx for this suggestion anyway as I've said-I have more then 1000 files so selecting them one by one takes ages.
This is why I am looking for something another: reading the list of files from the text file then back up all of them to another location.
e-mail Reply: 2 - 6
Ray
Posted: July 20th, 2009, 10:31am Report to Moderator
Administrator Group

I do not think that you will find anything that will read the list and enter it.
   With WinRescue you can select the files and folders you want to backup.  1000 files should not take long to select.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 3 - 6
tampabri
Posted: July 20th, 2009, 5:38pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member

You say that you are working with "a text file that needs to be backed-up". In last response you say that you need to select more than 1000 files - very confusing. Why can you not keep all of these files in a single folder for backup? Perhaps there is some sort of problem with the 'creator' program that forces separate files.  I can see only two options:
1. build a 'collector' program that builds all files the 'way' you need them - might be able to collect them with Windows Finder facility, and save to a folder (somehow?)
2. Any program that forces you to back-up files manually probably needs to be re-engineered to do what you need - is there a newer verson, or can you get a local guy to modify the program.
Logged Offline
AIM Reply: 4 - 6
Ray
Posted: July 22nd, 2009, 1:17pm Report to Moderator
Administrator Group

What I understood him to say is that he has a list of all of the files that he wants to back up in a text file.  To state it again, the text file is a list of the files he wants to backup.  He does not want to backup the text file.  He wants to backup the files that are listed in the text file.  He wants a backup program that will read the text file and use that list to make up the backup list.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 5 - 6
jadde
Posted: July 22nd, 2009, 6:02pm Report to Moderator
Guest User

Exactly Ray

@tampabri
Code

You say that you are working with "a text file that needs to be backed-up". 

No, I have said:
Code

I have a text file with lists of files which need to be mirrored

e-mail Reply: 6 - 6
 Pages: 1
Recommend Print

Locked Board Board Index    Questions  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Forum Rules